Insurance Coverage

The University of Minnesota Department of Intercollegiate Athletics requires that all student-athletes have health plan coverage as a condition of participation in any athletic activity.

All students who are 1) admitted to a degree program; and 2) registered for six or more credits per semester that count towards the automatic assessment of the Student Services Fee are required by the University of Minnesota to have health plan coverage. Students who meet both of these criteria are eligible for enrollment in the University-sponsored Student Health Benefit Plan. Please contact the Office of Student Health Benefits to determine exact eligibility status. Please note that this requirement does NOT obligate student-athletes to enroll in the SHBP.

Enrollment in Student Health Benefits Plan
All eligible students who wish to take advantage of the 2016-17 academic year SHBP must complete the enrollment process prior to the start of each new term.

Step 1. Online Enrollment
When registering for classes online, every student will see a screen that instructs them to enter health plan information. Students who wish to enroll in the SHBP should select the option "I wish to enroll in the University-sponsored Student Health Benefit Plan". If eligible, the student will be enrolled in the plan and a charge will be added to their University account. The cost of this plan for the 2016-17 academic year is approximately $1,000 per semester. The student-athlete will be covered during the summer if they are on the SHBP for the Spring semester.

Step 2. Update One Stop
Make sure your U.S. Mail address is your current campus address. This is the address to which your plan card and information will be mailed.

Students who do not wish to enroll in the Student Health Benefit Plan must provide verifiable health plan information at the time they register for classes (name of company providing health plan, phone, member ID, etc.). This information is subject to audit. Students must enter this information each semester during their registration for classes. Should the University not be able to verify health plan coverage for a student, the student will automatically be enrolled in the SHBP and a charge will be added to their University account. In addition, the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics will not allow the student-athlete to participate in athletic activities until health plan coverage can be verified.

For more information regarding the Student Health Benefit Plan including plan details, enrolling dependents, etc., please contact the Office of Student Health Benefits at (612) 624-0627 or 1-800-232-9017 or visit the website:

Deb Canfield serves as the Athletic Medicine Insurance Coordinator for Intercollegiate Athletics.
Contact information:
516 -15th Ave SE, Rm 190
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Office: 612-626-2066
Fax: 612-626-4789

The Demographics/Insurance Information form must be filled out completely and returned to Deb Canfield as soon as possible. Along with the completed form, please send a copy (FRONT and BACK) of all insurance cards (e.g., medical, dental, prescription drugs).

Please list any plan restrictions including if the insurance policy is a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO), a Health Maintenance Organization (HMO), Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) or a Health Savings Account (HSA). Please provide additional information regarding deductibles, HSA or HRA fund amounts, pre-certification or prior authorizations necessary for medical appointments, special testing, referrals and surgery. Also provide information on secondary insurance policies as well.

To ensure the best medical coverage for your son/daughter, we recommend the following health plan coverage for student athletes:

1. Available coverage in Minnesota either through an existing network or through some type of "away from home" care (see below).

2. A maximum annual deductible of $3,000.00/family.

Many health plans provide an "away from home care" or "open access" policy. Please call your health plan to make sure the student-athlete is covered while attending the University of Minnesota. Contact the Human Resource's coordinator for the policy holder's employer to find out if this option is available.

For those with HMO policies, contact the HMO carrier to have the student-athlete's primary clinic changed to one of the following options:

1) University of Minnesota Physicians Bierman Clinic, 516 15th Ave SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455

2) University of Minnesota Medical Center-Fairview, 420 Delaware St., Minneapolis, MN 55454

3) Request "open access" coverage if available under this plan, or

4) Request a standing referral from the student-athlete's current primary care physician. This referral may apply for one year without the need to establish a referral each time the student-athlete needs to see a physician.

For payment of all medical claims, we may request the assistance of the policy holder for the resolution of the bill and/or HSA/HRA.

It is the responsibility of the policy holder (parent or student athlete) to inform the University of Minnesota of any changes to their health plan information. Failure to do so may result in delays in authorizing care and/or payment. The student-athlete is financially responsible for all expenses incurred during any lapses in health plan coverage, regardless of whether the injury is caused through participation in athletics or otherwise. The University of Minnesota does not assume financial responsibility for student-athlete expenses when the student athlete is uninsured.

If the student-athlete requires medical treatment while participating in intercollegiate athletics at the University of Minnesota, the following steps will be followed:

1. Claims are filed by the physician or clinic with the student-athlete's primary insurance for all medical expenses, whether or not they are athletic related. If there is secondary insurance, the charges will be filed with that insurance company as well.

2. Claims will be filed with the HRA/HSA, also. The process for filing will vary from employer to employer, and some HRA accounts will pay the expenses automatically.

2. The student-athlete/parent receives an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) and a statement (bill) for services provided.

3. The statement and the EOB should be forwarded to the Athletic Medicine Insurance Coordinator:

Deb Canfield
University of Minnesota
Department of Athletics
516 -15th Ave SE, Rm 190
Minneapolis, MN 55455

4. Upon receipt, the Insurance Coordinator will verify the statement is for athletic related medical expenses. If not, the statements will be returned to the student-athlete/parent. The statements will also be returned if there is a HRA or HSA to cover expenses.

5. If the expenses are athletic related, the Insurance Coordinator will contact the provider and request copies of the itemized statements and EOBs be forwarded to the Department of Athletic Medicine.

The time in which the provider and your insurance company process the claim varies from 30 to 60 days or longer. The student athlete/parent will continue to receive statements during this time.

6. When all insurance companies have made their determinations and the documentation has been forwarded to the Athletic Medicine Department, the Insurance Coordinator will document the information and request payment be sent to the provider. The time for this process is typically 30 days.

Proud Sponsors Of Gopher Athletics