How Can I Choose the Right College For Me?
1,2,3) Excellent Academics - Minnesota is one of the finest universities in the world. There are over 200 majors and degrees available. Nearly every school at the University is ranked in the top 20 in the nation. Our library is one of the finest and most complete in the world. Over 80% of all classes have 40 students or less and our faculty is world renowned.
4,5,6) These 3 questions can only be answered by you & the things you hear & observe on your campus visit. Over the course of the 8 month recruiting process you will get a "feel" for the school, the program, & the coach.
7) Every coach at Minnesota is USATF Level II Certified as well as being lead instructors in their chosen events. They are all national leaders in their event areas! The coaches on staff are on the "cutting edge" of the latest training methods & will help you reach your full potential.
8) Unselfish athletes with common goals - women who decide to compete in Track & Field or Cross Country at Minnesota enjoy the team concept. Most freshmen realize they won't be number one at first but know they will have quality teammates helping them be the best athlete they can eventually be. To be third woman on a winning team seems to be more exciting than to be first woman on a team that is constantly struggling. The philosophy of the program is one of putting family first, academics second and athletics third. These are values that are extremely important to this program. The staff will never waiver from the premise that we will treat you as if you were our daughter. There will be discipline when needed and there will be hugs if they are needed.
9) Outstanding coaches- unlike many schools our staff is not limited to one head coach and an assistant. We have six coaches on our staff. Along with the head coach, we have a throws coach, a sprint-jump-hurdle coach and three volunteer assistants. Everyone gets the individual attention to help her reach her fullest potential.
10) The Twin Cities are the most liveable cities in the United States. They have been described as just big "small towns". Once one lives here a very short time, this becomes very evident. There are over 200 lakes and 500 parks in the Twin Cities area, as well as miles and miles of bike & running trails.
11) Excellent distance running and track & field environment - many athletes fail to succeed at the collegiate level because of lack of support for their training from the school and the community. Such is not the case at Minnesota. The entire community is running conscious and very supportive of what happens at the "U". This is evidenced by the thousands of joggers, the three running Clubs and the Twin Cities Marathon that attracts thousands of runners yearly.
12) Beautiful Compact Campus - even though Minnesota is a large university, it is one of the most compact. One can easily walk from one end of campus to the other in less than 15 minutes and there are free shuttle buses between the St. Paul and the Minneapolis campuses. The "U" is also a beautiful campus with huge trees and lush green lawns that surround beautiful stately buildings. The campus is located on the banks of the mighty Mississippi.
13) Excellent Career Opportunities - being located in the Twin Cities is a real advantage for all Minnesota graduates. There are literally thousands of companies and of course the major corporations- 3M, General Mills, Pillsbury, Control Data and Honeywell are located here. These companies offer internships and most importantly provide jobs for many graduates of the University of Minnesota.
14) Outstanding Leadership - Our Athletic Director, Joel Maturi, is one of the most outstanding administrators at any level. He has provided the leadership and the support that has helped turn the Golden Gopher program into one of the finest in the nation. Over 80% of the Gopher teams are ranked in the top 20 of 300 Division I Schools in the country. In 2002 Sports Illustrated ranked Minnesota as the 7th best athletic program in the nation and the top athletic program in the Big Ten Conference.
15) Minnesota is also one of the only schools to employ a women's scholarship development person. That position has raised over 12.5 million dollars to help endow women's athletic scholarships. The goal in the next 5 years is to raise 5 million dollars to ensure that the women's department will always be fully funded.
16) Academic Counselors- our academic advisement staff is outstanding. We have one person in charge of all academic advising for athletes and under her supervision are eight assistants. Track&Field and Cross Country athletes work with their academic counselor to insure the right classes are taken and to assist you should you need a tutor for a specific course. Out of 2000 four year schools nation wide, Minnesota ranks 10th overall.
17) The Coaching Staff puts a premium on academics. Over the past four years our Cross Country team has a combined GPA of 3.25 and our Track&Field 3.15. We are VERY VERY proud of these statistics. Our women's team has had 23 consecutive semesters above 3.0.
18) Tremendous Training Staff - our athletic training staff is second to none with 12 full time trainers that will help you keep healthy and ready to compete. They are also supported by excellent team doctors. Our Track&Field and Cross Country Teams also have a massage therapist for our elite athletes.
19) Facilities Second to None- our facilities are also excellent. The Track and Cross Country women have their own team locker room and four weight rooms.
20) The newest facility is our refurbished indoor track facility that was completed in the Fall of 2000. It boasts a 200 meter Martin track (like the surface that was used in the 2000 Olympic Stadium in Sydney, Australia) as well as complete field event facilities. Our outdoor facility is one of the very best in the world. It is a ten lane 1.5 million dollar facility and was the site of the 1990 Olympic Festival and the 1991 International Special Olympics as well as the 1992, 1995 and 2003 Big Ten Championships.
21) Our cross country team works out and competes on the beautiful University of Minnesota Golf Course just adjacent to the St. Paul Campus.
22) Excellent Schedule- because of our great budgets, we run an outstanding schedule of meets and take an annual spring training trip south. Over the past 18 years we have competed in nearly 30 different states.
23) Great Budget- our budget for athletics is one of the top in the country, which allows us to provide the resources and competition to allow each athlete to reach her fullest potential. We fly to many of our meets which allows us to be in class nearly all week instead of on the road.
24) Minnesota is relatively inexpensive - With college costs continually on the rise one can attend the "U" for around $12,954 per year as an in state student. Even out of state students pay a relatively low $23,528 per year (these figures include room, board, books, tuition and fees). We also have full reciprocity with North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin and Manitoba and partial reciprocity with Michigan, Missouri,Kansas and Nebraska.
25) The National reputation of Minnesota is excellent. We are considered to be one of the top 5 public institutions in America. Some of our most outstanding majors include engineering, medicine, education, languages, and business.
26) These last two questions are again ones that only you can answer after doing your "investigation". If possible, talk to at least a half dozen people that are not directly affiliated with Minnesota or any other school you are considering.
27) GOOD LUCK in choosing the University that is academically, philosophically and athletically right for you. Remember, there are hundreds of excellent schools and coaches.
Eastman Earns B1G Weekly Honors
The Big Ten Conference honors Molly Eastman after she won the individual crown at Jack's Twilight Run last Friday.
B1G Championship to Feature Fan Fest
Sunday's Big Ten Championship at Les Bolstad Course will include extra activities for all attendees.
BTN Announces Fall Championships Schedule
All Big Ten Network televised events will also be available via stream on BTN2Go.