LesClick Here For Golden Gopher Cross Country Big Ten Championship Notes
2005 Big Ten Cross Country Championships
Sunday, Oct. 30
Les Bolstad Golf Course - Falcon Heights, Minn.
10:45 a.m. Women’s Race
11:30 a.m. Men’s Race
12:30 p.m. Awards Presentation
Golden Gopher Watch List — Oct. 30, 2005
• Minnesota Welcomes Big Ten Cross Country Championships - Minnesota will play host the 2005 Big Ten Men’s and Women’s Cross Country Championships on Sunday, Oct. 30, at the University of Minnesota Les Bolstad Golf Course in Falcon Heights, Minn. The women’s race gets underway at 10:45 a.m., followed by the men’s event at 11:30 p.m. Award ceremonies will follow. This is the first time Minnesota has hosted this Championship since 1995.
• Big Ten Ranking Among the Nation’s Best - The No. 11 Minnesota women and the No. 23 Golden Gopher men have plenty of Big Ten Conference rivals joining them in the national polls. Six teams, led by No. 2 Wisconsin, are ranked on the men’s side, while five teams, topped by No. 3 Michigan and No. 6 Illinois, are included among the nation’s elite in the women’s poll.
• Trio Looking to Bring Gopher Women to the Top of the Leaderboard - Minnesota’s top three runners, Emily Brown, Ladia Albertson-Junkans and Lauren Williams have taken turns as the Gophers’ number-one runner.
• Gopher Men at Full Strength as Championships Approach - The Golden Gopher men ran most of the season without a duo of all-region performers in the lineup. Senior co-captain Erik Grumstrup and junior Antonio Vega are back and ready to lead a push into the championship portion of the Minnesota schedule.
• Malmin, Williams Look to Repeat on Big Ten Honor Squads- The Gophers have two runners hoping to earn spots on the Big Ten honor squads for the second consecutive season. Ryan Malmin placed 10th and Lauren Williams 14th in their respective races to garner All-Big Ten Second Team accord a year ago.
• This and That - Tickets for the Big Ten Cross Country Championships are $6 for adults and $4 for students and senior citizens. The gates open to the public at 9 a.m. on Sunday, with parking available at the Les Bolstad Course Main Lot, the Gibbs Farm Lot. Signage will direct the public to additional parking facilities. No pets will be allowed on the course.
• Big Ten Hurricane Relief Effort - The Big Ten Conference will be collecting donations for a Hurricane Katrina Relief Effort at all fall Conference championship events. Only cash donations are being accepted and will be collected at the gate of the Cross Country Championships by Golden Gopher student-athletes.