Oct. 13, 2011
The No. 21 University of Minnesota women’s cross country team will travel to Wisconsin this weekend for a pair of races. On Friday, the top 14 women will be competing in Madison, Wis., at the Wisconsin adidas Invitational. This is a new meet for the Gophers, as in years past they would be racing at the Pre-NCAA Meet. The 6k race will take place at the Thomas Zimmer Championship Cross Country Course and will have two different divisions, a championship race and a “B” race. The championship race is set to begin at 1p.m. and the “B” race will run at 2:20 p.m. Both races will be covered on flotrack.org.
On Saturday, the Gophers second group will race at the Tori Neubauer Invitational. This meet holds a special place for Coach Wilson as he coached Tori Neubauer to several national titles while at UW-La Crosse. 25 teams from upper midwest will toe the line at 11:30 a.m. central time.
Set to Race at Madison…
#9 Iowa State
#15 Michigan State
#7 New Mexico
#13 North Carolina
#25 Notre Dame
William & Mary
Want to Get the Inside Scoop From Madison?
As said before FloTrack will be covering the races on Friday. Check out http://www.flotrack.org/coverage/240308-Wisconsin-adidas-XC-Invitational-2011 for coverage from Madison.
How the Gophers Split the Squad
Wisconsin adidas Invitational Roster
Maggie Bollig *
Ashlie Decker *
Laura Docherty *
Molly Kayfes *
Katie Moraczewski *
Stephanie Price *
Missa Varpness *
*Running in the Championship race
Tori Neubauer Invitational
Gophers in the Polls
The women’s cross country team has been moving up in the national USTFCCCA poll. Currently the Gophers are ranked No. 21 and were preseason ranked No. 30. Minnesota is now No. 2 in the Midwest Regional poll behind Iowa State.
What the Gophers have done so far in 2011…
- Minnesota won the Oz Memorial on Sept. 9 with a perfect team score of 15 points.
- Stephanie Price picked up Big Ten Runner of the Week honors, after her first place finish at the Oz Memorial.
- The Gophers finished in fifth place at the Roy Griak Invitational, beating three teams ranked ahead of them in the NCAA poll.
- Price earned her second Big Ten Runner of the Week honor, after her fifth place finish at the Griak.
- On Friday September 30, Minnesota’s second group finished second at the Blugold Invitational. Andrea Rediger led the Gophers, finishing sixth overall.
- On October 1, the Gophers Top 12 runners ran to a first place finish at the South Dakota State Invitational. Price was once again Minnesota’s number one runner and won the individual title.
Minnesota will host the Jack’s Run next Saturday October 22 at 10 a.m. This race is a fundraiser in memory of long time Gopher equipment manager Jack Johnson. The race is a 6k and open to the public. All proceeds go to the Jack Johnson Scholarship and the Angel Network. The following weekend the Gophers head to the 2011 Big Ten Championship on Sunday, October 30 at the University of Illinois Arboretum. The Gophers finished third overall in 2010.
Gophers Earn Top-20 NCAA Finish
Minnesota finished 18th in the team race for its highest NCAA finish since 2009.
Berkholtz Honored By USATF Minnesota
Senior Liz Berkholtz was named the USATF Minnesota Female Athlete of the Month for October.
No. 23 Gophers Head to NCAA Championship
Fifth-year seniors Liz Berkholtz and Kaila Urick lead Minnesota into its 11th-straight NCAA Championship this weekend.