Dec. 9, 2011
Iowa State Notes
- The Cyclones are 12-6 all-time in NCAA Tournament play.
- Iowa State is 2-1 against Minnesota under Christy Johnson-Lynch.
- The Cyclones are 3-0 on neutral courts in 2011.
- The first set of tonight's match was Iowa State's first lost set of the postseason.
- The Cyclones hit .400 in the second set after hitting .031 in the first.
- Iowa State had 30 digs during the third set.
- The Cyclones recorded a season-high 16 blocks. They have reached double figures in blocks for eight times this season.
- Senior Carly Jenson recorded her 22nd double-figure kill match of the season, the 42nd of her career, with 19.
- Freshman Victoria Hurtt reached double digits in kills for the fifth time this year.
- Senior Kelsey Petersen recorded a season-high nine block assists.
- Sophomore Tenisha Matlock tied her career high with eight block assists.
- Four Cyclones reached double figures in digs: Kristen Hahn (19), Carly Jenson (12), Rachel Hockaday (12), and Alison Landwehr (10).
- Sophomore Kristen Hahn has recorded double-digit digs for nine straight matches, 26 total matches this season.
Coach Christy Johnson-Lynch
"What a match; this is the kind of match you hope to play in the tournament where two great teams are battling and going at it and its point for point the whole time, you just try to outlast each other. Minnesota is an incredible team, a lot of great athletes over there. We were really fortunate to just score up a couple more points than them. What a great team and a fun match. I told the team for me personally, some years the coach tries to inspire the team and get the team going, for me this year they have inspired me quite a bit. It has been an incredible group, very selfless, fighters; for me they have been very inspirational and I have really enjoyed this season and this group, it's a special group. I thought this match was about being really really tough and aggressive at the end of the tight game and we weren't always perfect at the end but we stayed aggressive and believed in each other and stayed with it... We are really happy to be here and are excited for tomorrow. "
On adjustments after the first game:
"A lot of it was serve and pass. We got served off the court the first game so we really never could get going.. We talked about communicating and delaying the block a little bit. We started to pass which was huge, it allowed us to get in a rhythm and allowed us to put more pressure on them.
On turning around and playing tomorrow:
"Very emotional evening for us. We talked about enjoying this for the next hour, visit with your parents, but then let's get to bed... Tomorrow we have to be very business-like and serious and get after it. Enjoy it for a little bit but don't lose sight of the fact that we still have a lot to do and a lot to prepare for. I think this team is very mature and I found they handle things like that very well. I feel good about them getting back to business tomorrow."
On mood after the first set:
"We knew we had to go out there and fight. We knew our passing was awful so us passers were talking and we knew we had to turn it around and get our offense going."
On how they are different late in the games:
"We have a lot more passion this year, we just want the game so bad that are willing to give it our all."
On playing in this environment:
"That is the environment you dream about when you're a little girl, the atmosphere is great... It was fun to play."
On emotion of final kill:
"It was crazy, I was excited, I just wanted to go at it and go hard at it."
On being back in the Elite 8:
"Us 5 (seniors) are the only ones that have that feeling so we want to share it with everyone else, this is huge for us."
On what to tell the rest of the team:
"We try to stay calm, we want to stay composed, but we get excited after we get something done."
Gophers Announce 2018 Spring Schedule
3/16/2018 - W. Volleyball
The University of Minnesota volleyball program has announced its schedule for the 2018 spring season.
Gophers in the Pros: Lauren Gibbemeyer
3/13/2018 - W. Volleyball
Gophersports.com caught up with Minnesota Volleyball great and professional player, Lauren Gibbemeyer.
Alum Spotlight: Andrea (Gonzalez) Campbell
3/7/2018 - W. Volleyball
Time to catch up with one of our Gophers great, Andrea Gonzalez Campbell, in this question/answer session.