Florida State Defeats Purdue to Advance to NCAA Regionals
Florida State advanced to the regional finals for the second time in three years, as it defeated Purdue in four sets by scores of 25-23, 21-25, 25-20, 25-19 at the Sports Pavilion on Friday, Dec. 9.
The Seminoles will face the winner of the second match featuring Iowa State and Minnesota in the regional final at 8:30 p.m. (CT) on Saturday, Dec. 10.
The Seminoles had five different players register double-figure kill totals, as Jekaterin Stepanova, Ashley Neff and Elise Walch each had 11 kills. Sareea Freeman and Visnja Djurdjevic had 10 kills. Djurdjevic and Stepanova finished with 26 and 22 digs respectively.
Florida State's middle blockers (Neff and Freeman) combined to hit .472 for the match. Neff hit .529, and Freeman paced Florida State with nine blocks. Katie Mosher finished with a match-high 28 digs.
Ariel Turner had 16 kills and 20 digs, but was limited to a .105 hitting percentage, as Purdue hit a season-low .129 as a team. Tiffany Fisher had 15 kills, six digs and hit .375. Blair Bashen had 20 digs for the match.
Florida State set the tone early in the match with a comeback in the first set. The Seminoles fell behind 21-13 in the first set, but went on a 12-2 run to finish the first set. Purdue answered by claiming the second set 25-21.
In the third set, Florida State hit scalding .424 as a team on the way to claiming the third set 25-20. The fourth set featured seven ties, and saw the two team knotted at 19. The Seminoles closed out the match on a 6-0 run, and finished when Stepanova's kill sent Florida State to the regional finals.
NCAA Regional Semifinals (12) Florida State 3 def. Purdue 1
Florida State Notes
- The Seminoles' all-time record in NCAA Tournament play is 8-13 in 14 appearances. - Florida State is 2-0 in regional semifinal games at the Sports Pavilion, also winning there in 2009. - The Seminoles will be making their second Regional Final appearance in three years. - The Seminoles are 2-2 against Big Ten opponents since head coach Chris Poole's arrival in 2008. - The Seminoles went on a 12-2 run to win the first set. They were down 21-13 before coming back to win the set, 25-23. Their last lead before 24-23 was at 8-7. - Florida State recorded 11 blocks in the match. Entering tonight's match, the Seminoles were averaging 2.95 blocks per set. - The Seminoles hit .424 in the third set after hitting .173 and .125 in the first and second sets, respectively. - Five Seminoles finished with double-figure kills in the match. - Senior Jekaterina Stepanova reached double-figure kills for the 12th time in a row, and the 23rd time this season. It was also her 20th match with double-digit digs. - Stepanova's 22 digs were a career-high. - Visna Djurdevic had a career-high 26 digs. - Sophomore Elise Walch had her 10th match with double-digit kills this season, and her second in the NCAA Tournament. - Sophomore Ashley Neff recorded her fifth double-figure kill match. - Neff's .529 hitting percentage was her best this season in a match where she registered double-figure kills - Katie Mosher reached double-figures in digs for the 29th time this season. - Mosher matched her second-highest dig total of the season with 28.
Purdue Notes - Purdue is 19-14 all-time in the NCAA Tournament - Purdue finishes the season with 29 wins.
- The Boilermakers finished the season 7-5 against ranked opposition
- Purdue suffered its first non-conference loss of the season. - Purdue finished 8-4 when it loses the first set. - Purdue finished 4-1 in neutral-site matches this year - Purdue is 3-4 against Florida State
- Purdue came into the night averaging 2.80 kps on the season, and only had four for the match.
- Purdue was held to a season-low .129 hitting percentage
- Ariel Turner had her 32nd double-figure kill match of the year with 16 - Turner had her 17th double-double of the season with 16 kills and 20 digs
- Tiffany Fisher had her 12th double-figure kill match of the season with 15 - Catherine Rebarchak had her eight double-figure kill match of the season with 11. - Blair Bashen had her 26th double-figure dig match of the season with 20 - Emily Ehlers had her 16th double-figure dig match of the season with 16 - Rachel Davis had her 13th double-figure dig match of the season with 19
- Hillary Fox had her second double-figure dig match of the season with 15 - Purdue had 100 digs on the match. The two teams combined for 204 on the match (Florida State had 104).