|NCAA West Preliminary Round
|Date||Thursday, May 23-Satuday, May 25|
|Location||Mike A. Myers Stadium (Austin, Texas)|
|Meet Info||Schedule | Declared Athletes|
|Video Streaming||Thursday | Friday | Saturday|
|Statistics||2013 Performance List | Top-10 List|
|Social Media||Facebook | @gopherwtrackcc|
May 21, 2013
A total of 12 University of Minnesota women’s track and field competitors have earned spots in the NCAA West Preliminary, which will be held May 23-25 in Austin, Texas. The Golden Gophers will have competitors in 10 different events with Devin Stanford the lone Gopher qualifying in two events. The top 12 individuals in each event will advance to the NCAA Track & Field Outdoor Championships, which are set for June 5-8 in Eugene, Ore.
- Te'Shon Adderley (800m): Ranks seventh in school history in the 800m (2:07.55) • ran that time in the Big Ten prelims • finished sixth at Big Tens • won the 800m at the Arkansas Invite • also a member of the Gophers' 4x400m relay and Drake Relays-winning DMR.
- Liz Berkholtz (10,000m): Ranks 10th in school history in the 10,000m (35:11.12) • finished seventh at the Big Ten Championships with that time • also ran the 3,000m and 5,000m during the season.
- Emily Betz (Javelin): Making her third NCAA West Prelims appearance • ranks ninth in school history in the javelin with a throw of 151-2 (46.08m) • finished fourth at the Big Ten Championships with that throw • won javelin titles at the Meet of the Unsaintly and the Hamline Twilight this season.
- Alena Brooks (800m): Making her third NCAA West Prelims appearance • ranks second in school history, behind only Heather Dorniden, in the 800m (2:05.82) • finished second at the Alabama Invite with that time • placed fourth at the Big Ten Championships • also a member of the Gophers' 4x400m relay and Drake Relays-winning DMR • holds the school 400m record.
- Kelli Budd (3,000m Steeplechase): Ranks seventh all-time in the steeplechase (10:34.94) • posted that time in finishing 13th at the Big Ten Championships also competed in the 5,000m during the season.
- Laura Docherty (5,000m): Making her second NCAA West Prelims appearanace • ranks third in Minnesota history in the 5,000m (16:16.10) • finished fourth with that time at the Big Ten Championships • also runner-up in the 10,000m, an event for which she broke the school record this year (33:24.93) • anchored the Gophers' winning DMR at the Drake Relays.
- Megan Geyen (400m): Making her second NCAA West Prelims appearance • ranks second in school history in the 400m (53.72) • ran that time in the Big Ten Championships prelims, going on to finish second in the finals (53.91) • won the 400m at the Viking Classic • also a member of the Gophers' 4x400m relay.
- Jeri Johnson-Chambers (Hammer): Ranks eighth in school history with a hammer throw of 185-4 (56.51m) • finished eighth at the Big Ten Championships with that throw • won at the UNLV Invite.
- Katie Loberg (High Jump): Ranks sixth in school history in high jump after clearing 5-8 1/2 (1.74m) • recorded that jump to tie for third at the Big Ten Championships • joined the track and field team after four years playing basketball for the Gophers • won event titles at the Hamline Twilight and Tom Cat Open.
- Katie Moraczewski (3,000m Steeplechase): Making her third NCAA West Prelims appearance • ranks third in school history in the steeplechase (10:14.07) • finished fourth at the Big Ten Championships with that time • Drake Relays runner-up.
- Devin Stanford (Discus, Hammer): Ranks seventh in school history in both discus (170-4 / 51.93m) and hammer (185-9 / 56.63m) • finished third at the Big Ten Championships with her discus PR • finished 11th in hammer • set her hammer PR at the Musco Twilight • won two discus titles and a hammer title during the season.
- Todea-Kay Willis (Long Jump): School record holder in long jump, setting a mark of 21-1 1/2 (6.44m) in 2011 • jumped a season-best 20-3 (6.17m) at the Arkansas Invite • finished seventh at the Big Ten Championships • also finished eighth in the 100m, an event in which she ranks sixth all-time at Minnesota • won three long jump titles during the season • also part of the Gophers' 4x100m relay.
Sixteen Gophers qualified for the 2012 West Preliminary. The 4x100m relay team of Todea-Kay Willis, Nyoka Giles, Chimerem Okoroji and Kylie Peterson went on to finish 13th at the NCAA Championships.
Miller Inspired By Rio Experience
Former Gopher student-athlete and current women's assistant coach Peter Miller attended the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil as a fan.
Gophers Visit Minnesota State Fair
Members of the Gopher women's track & field team visited the University of Minnesota building Wednesday.
Gophers Welcome Two New Staff Members
Director of operations Lyndsey Thorpe and athletic trainer Sarah Wambheim have joined the Gopher Athletics staff.