Feb. 23, 2013
Photo Gallery | More Photos
The Minnesota women's track and field team finished seventh at the Big Ten Indoor Championships at the SPIRE Institute in Geneva, Ohio. With 56 points, the Gophers were just one point out of sixth. Laura Docherty and Todea-Kay Willis each earned All-Big Ten Second Team honors. Illinois won the conference with 115 points.
The 5,000 meters was one of the highlights of the meet for Minnesota. Docherty and Molly Kayfes finished second and third in the race, and now rank second and third in school history. Docherty (16:15.00) and Kayfes (16:15.31) took over the second and third slots once the pack separated, and they held off other contenders to the end
The Gopher 4x400-meter relay team was just .22 seconds away from the school record in finishing fourth. Megan Geyen, Te'Shon Adderley, Jessica Waldvogel and Alena Brooks ran the fastest time in their section of the relay. They were .10 seconds out of third place overall, with the fastest three teams running in the second section.
Adderley finished fourth in the 800 meters with a new personal record of 2:06.42, which ranks fourth in school history. Brooks came in fifth in the 600 meters with a time of 1:30.44.
Willis, yesterday's runner-up in long jump, finished sixth in the 60-meter dash with a time of 7.48. Kylie Peterson finished ninth, just outside of the scoring.
Becca Dyson finished eighth in the mile run. She posted a time of 4:49.67 to earn a point for Minnesota.
This year's Big Ten meet was a big improvement from last season, when the Gophers finished 11th with 11 points. This year, they set a goal to score more points, and ended up finishing closer to the middle of the pack.
"I'm proud of Laura Docherty and Molly Kayfes," director of track and field/cross country Matt Bingle. "They had a great weekend and competed well. TK Willis set the long jump record, and the 4x400 was close to the school record. I'm proud of the team overall. We've come a long way since last year. We're on the right path, but we still have a lot of work to do for outdoor."
Recap of Gopher Scorers
2. Todea-Kay Willis: long jump, 20-7 3/4 (6.29m) *school record
2. Laura Docherty: 5,000 meters, 16:15.0
3. Molly Kayfes: 5,000 meters, 16:15.31
3. Laura Docherty: 3,000 meters, 9:23.60
4. Te'Shon Adderley: 800 meters, 2:06.42
4. Megan Geyen, Te'Shon Adderley, Jessica Waldvogel, Alena Brooks: 4x400-meter relay, 3:40.99
4. Katie Hill, Alena Brooks, Te'Shon Adderley, Maggie Bollig: distance medley relay, 11:17.94
5. Alena Brooks: 600 meters, 1:30.44
6. Molly Kayfes: 3,000 meters, 9:30.39
6. Todea-Kay Willis: 60 meters, 7.48
7. Katie Murgic: pole vault, 12-7 1/2 (3.85m)
8. Becca Dyson: mile, 4:49.67