MINNEAPOLIS - Five Golden Gophers set career bests while competing in the weight throw at the Northwest Open hosted by the Minnesota men's track & field team at the U of M Fieldhouse on Saturday afternoon.
Kailee Kamps led Minnesota with a career-best throw of 16.39 meters (53-09.25) to place second, followed by Allie Heifort in third place at a career best 16.18m (53-01.00). Temi Ogunrinde posted a career-best throw of 14.81m (48-07.25) for fifth place, making her official collegiate debut for the Gophers after competing unattached during the 2015 season.
Two Gophers competed unattached as well. Nina Horvath won the weight throw with a career-best throw of 17.04m (55-11.00), and freshman Shay Nielsen made her unofficial collegiate debut in seventh with a throw of 12.34m (40-06.00).
The Gopher women's track & field team officially opens the season by hosting the Minnesota Open next Saturday, Jan. 16, at the U of M Fieldhouse. Action gets underway at noon CT.
Women's Weight Throw Results
1. Nina Horvath, unattached, 17.04m (55-11.00)
2. Kailee Kamps, Minnesota, 16.39m (53-09.25)
3. Allie Heifort, Minnesota, 16.18m (53-01.00)
4. Lydia Kingsley, Minnesota Duluth, 15.45m (50-08.25)
5. Temi Ogunrinde, Minnesota, 14.81m (48-07.25)
6. Mariah Hoffman, Concordia-St. Paul, 14.04m (46-00.75)
7. Shay Nielsen, unattached, 12.34m (40-06.00)
8. Courtney Ryan, Minnesota Duluth, 12.12m (39-09.25)
9. Heather Clankie, St. Cloud State, 11.88m (38-11.75)
10. Bariture Igboh, Minnesota-Duluth, 11.56m (37-11.25
Place Finishes as B1G Runner-Up
2/23/2018 - W. Track & Field
Karlie Place finished as pole vault runner-up to lead Minnesota on day one of the Big Ten Championship.
Warm-Up Lap: Q&A with Erin Huls
2/22/2018 - W. Track & Field
Get to know Gophers redshirt sophomore Erin Huls as the Gophers prepare for the Big Ten Championship.
Big Ten Honors Long with Weekly Award
2/21/2018 - W. Track & Field
Kaitlyn Long is this week's Big Ten Conference Field Athlete of the Week following her record-breaking performance at the Parents Day Invite.