fallThe University of Minnesota women's tennis team closed out play today at the 2004 UNC/Kitty Harrison Invitational, going 1-6 in singles and 2-1 in doubles. The event closed out the Golden Gophers fall schedule. Minnesota begins dual match play on Jan. 21, 2005, vs. Northern Iowa at the Baseline Tennis Center.
The Maroon and Gold opened the day with a 2-1 showing in its doubles dual against Winthrop. At No. 1, Ida Malmberg and Marina Bugaenco downed Ana Novaes and Ana Simanca, 8-4, while Nischela Reddy and Danielle Mousseau dispatched Paula Takashi and Renata Caceres, 8-3, at No. 2.
The Maroon and Gold were swept in its singles dual vs. the University of Miami, losing all four matches in straight sets. Minnesota gained its lone singles win of the day when Mousseau defeated Bethany James of Virgina Tech, 5-7, 6-3, (10-7).
The Invitational features eight of the top women's teams in the nation - North Carolina, Duke, Miami, Minnesota, Wake Forest, Washington State, Winthrop and Virginia Tech. It will be a hidden-dual format with each match being a dual between two teams, competing either in singles or doubles. However, no team scores will be kept. Instead, all results will be kept per individual and will contribute to the players' Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) rankings for the 2004-05 season.
The tournament is in honor of Kitty Harrison, a former head coach of North Carolina's women's tennis team. Harrison coached from 1977 to her retirement in 1998.
UNC/Kitty Harrison Invitational
Nov. 7, 2004
Minnesota vs. Miami - Singles
1. Melissa Applebaum (Miami) def. Nischela Reddy (MN), 6-4, 6-0
2. Staci Stevens (Miami) def. Ida Malmberg (MN), 6-2, 6-3
3. Emily Mowery (Miami) def. Jane Anderson (MN), 6-2, 6-2
4. Caren Seenauth (Miami) def. Marina Bugaenco (MN), 6-2, 6-1
Minnesota vs. Virginia Tech -Singles
5. Danielle Mousseau (MN) def. Bethany James (VT), 5-7, 6-3, (10-7)
6. Kate Harrington (VT) def. Jenna Tellefsen (MN), 6-0, 6-0
7. Meredith Holmes (VT) def. Shelby Rohrer (MN), 6-0, 6-1
Minnesota vs. Winthrop - Doubles
1. Ida Malmberg/Marina Bugaenco (MN) def. Ana Novaes/Ana Simanca (W), 8- 4
2. Nischela Reddy/Danielle Mousseau (MN) def. Paula Takahashi/Renata Caceres (W), 8-3
3. Larisa Bekmetova/Danielle Moita (W) def. Megan Steiger/Shelby Rohrer (MN), 8-2