playThe University of Minnesota women's tennis team struggled in the second day of the 2004 UNC/Kitty Harrison Invitational today, going 1-5 in singles and 0-6 in doubles. The Golden Gophers continue play at the Kitty Harrison/UNC Invitational tomorrow with a singles dual against Miami and a doubles dual vs. Winthrop.
The Maroon and Gold opened the day with a 0-2 showing in its doubles dual against Washington State. UM's duos of Nischela Reddy and Ida Malmberg, and Marina Bugaenco and Danielle Mousseau each lost their matches with 8-5 scores. The Golden Gophers were later swept in three doubles matches against Virginia Tech.
In Minnesota's lone singles dual of the day, the Maroon and Gold went 1-5 against Wake Forest. Sophomore Ida Malmberg picked up UM's only win, defeating Danielle Schwartz, 6 -2, 6-1 at No. 3. Only one other match went to three sets. At No. 5, Wake Forest's Jenna Loeb downed Danielle Mousseau, 6-4, 2-6, (10-7).
The Invitational features eight of the top women's teams in the nation - North Carolina, Duke, Miami, Minnesota, Wake Forest, Washington State, Winthrop and Virginia Tech. It will be a hidden-dual format with each match being a dual between two teams, competing either in singles or doubles. However, no team scores will be kept. Instead, all results will be kept per individual and will contribute to the players' Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) rankings for the 2004-05 season.
The tournament is in honor of Kitty Harrison, a former head coach of North Carolina's women's tennis team. Harrison coached from 1977 to her retirement in 1998.
UNC/Kitty Harrison Invitational
Nov. 6, 2004
Minnesota vs. Wake Forest - Singles
1. #64 Ashlee Davis (WFU) def. Nischela Reddy (MN), 7-5, 6-2
2. Katie Martzolf (WFU) def. Jane Anderson (MN), 6-1, 6-3
3. Ida Malmberg (MN) def. Danielle Schwartz (WFU), 6-2, 6-1
4. Blakely Offutt (WFU) def. Marina Bugaenco (MN), 6-2, 6-2
5. Jenna Loeb (WFU) def. Danielle Mousseau (MN), 6-4, 2-6, (10-7)
6. Alisha Talbot (WFU) def. Megan Steiger (MN), 6-1, 6-0
Minnesota vs. Washington State - Doubles
1. Orsi Sallai/Chris Martinez (WSU) def. Nischela Reddy/Ida Malmberg (MN), 8-5
2. Nora Gaal/Amy Toth (WSU) def. Marina Bugaenco/Danielle Mousseau (MN), 8-5
Minnesota vs. Virginia Tech - Doubles
1. Felice Lam/J.J. Larson (VT) def. Nischela Reddy/Marina Bugaenco (MN), 8-3
2. Anat Elazari/Ashley James (VT) def. Danielle Mousseau/Megan Steiger (MN), 8-3
3. Kate Harrington/Jessica Long (VT) def. Shelby Rohrer/Jenna Tellefsen (MN), 8-0
X. Parker Goyer/Clelia Deltour (Duke) def. Jane Anderson/Megan Steiger (MN), 8-3