HANOVER, NH - The Minnesota Gopher women’s tennis team won two out of six singles matches, and two out of three doubles matches Sunday, and fell to Yale on the last day of the Big Green Invitational.
"We had a good opportunity to play three tough teams this weekend and see what we still need to work on moving foward into the main part of our season this spring," head coach Catrina Thompson said. "UMass was a conference champion and an NCAA Tournament team last season, Dartmouth was as high as No. 20 in the country last year and Yale is right there with them so we had a chance to compete against some top level teams this weekend. We are ready to get back to work and keep getting better each day moving foward."
In the first singles spot, Tina Krenis fell to Sam Martinelli 6-4, 4-6, 7-5, while Caroline Ryba lost to Amy Yang 6-2, 6-4, in the second spot.
Annemarie Emme lost 7-5, 0-6, 7-6 (5) against Elizabeth Zordani in the third spot, followed by a 6-4, 7-5 loss by River Hart to Caroline Amos in the fourth spot.
Caitlyn Merzbacher won the first match for the Gophers in the fifth spot, a 6-2, 6-1 win over Sunday Swett.
Camila Vargas Gomez won the second match for Minnesota in the sixth spot, a 6-2, 6-1 win over Sonal Shrivastava.
The first-spot pairing of Merzbacher and Kreinis fell to Martinelli and Swett 6-2, followed by two 6-4 wins by Emme and Mehvish Safdar and Ryba and Hart over Caroline Amos and Zordani and Shrivastava and Yang, respectively.
1. Sam Martinelli (YALE) def. Tina Kreinis (MINN) 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
2. Amy Yang (YALE) def. Caroline Ryba (MINN) 6-2, 6-4
3. Elizabeth Zordani (YALE) def. Annemarie Emme (MINN) 7-5, 0-6, 7-6 (5)
4. Caroline Amos (YALE) def. River Hart (MINN) 6-4, 7-5
5. Caitlyn Merzbacher (MINN) def. Sunday Swett (YALE) 6-2, 6-1
6. Camila Vargas Gomez (MINN) def. Sonal Shrivastava (YALE) 6-2, 6-1
1. Sam Martinelli/Sunday Swett (YALE) def. Caitlyn Merzbacher/Tina Kreinis (MINN) 6-2
2. Annemarie Emme/Mehvish Safdar (MINN) Caroline Amos/Elizabeth Zordani (YALE) 6-4
3. Caroline Ryba/River Hart (MINN) def. Sonal Shrivastava/Amy Yang (YALE) 6-4
Gophers Welcome Michigan Friday, at Indiana Sunday
3/21/2018 - W. Tennis
This weekend the Gophers (11-6, 3-0 Big Ten) will take on Michigan (6-8, 2-0 Big Ten) at home and Indiana (12-5, 0-2 Big Ten) on the road.
Gophers Sweep Scarlet Knights 7-0
3/18/2018 - W. Tennis
The University of Minnesota Women’s Tennis team swept Big Ten foe Rutgers en route to improving their Big Ten record to 3-0 on the season.
Gophers Make it 2-0 in B1G Play
3/16/2018 - W. Tennis
he University of Minnesota women's tennis team (10-6, 2-0) came storming back in doubles and never looked back in this afternoon’s 6-1 victory over Maryland (6-6, 0-1).