The University of Minnesota women's tennis team struggled in the opening day of play at the 2005 Kitty Harrison Invitational today in Chapel Hill, N.C. The Golden Gophers went 2 -9 in singles action and 0-3 in doubles matches in hidden duals against host North Carolina, Duke, Winthrop and Virginia.
In a singles dual vs. the host Tarheels, Minnesota went 0-6 with all six singles matches going in straight sets. At No. 1, UNC's Caitlin Collins upended 86th-ranked Nischela Reddy, 6-2, 6-3. With the loss, Reddy fell to 4-4 on the season.
In a doubles dual against Duke, the Golden Gophers were shut out 0-3 with none of the matches closer than 8-3. Minnesota picked up its first wins of the day with two singles victories over Winthrop. At No. 1, Ida Malmberg defeated Patricia Coimbra, 6-1, 6-2, while Danielle Mousseau edged Larisa Bekmeteva, 6-3, 6-7, (10-7) at No. 3. In the last matches of the day, Megan Steiger and Jenna Tellefsen dropped straight-set decisions in two singles contests against Virginia.
The Kitty Harrison Invitation continues through Sunday.
2005 UNC Kitty Harrison Invitational
Chapel Hill, N.C.
Nov. 4, 2005
Minnesota vs. North Carolina - Singles
1. Caitlin Collins (UNC) def. #86 Nischela Reddy (MN), 6-2, 6-3
2. Austin Smith (UNC) def. Ida Malmberg (MN), 7-6, 6-3
3. Meg Fanjoy (UNC) def. Mariana Spilca (MN), 7-5, 6-2
4. Alex Jurewitz (UNC) def. Danielle Mousseau (MN), 6-1, 6-3
5. Laura Reichert (UNC) def. Megan Steiger (MN), 6-0, 6-1
6. Hanes Harris (UNC) def. Jenna Tellefsen (MN), 6-1, 6-2
Minnesota vs. Duke - Doubles
1. Melissa Mang/Jenny Zika (Duke) def. Reddy/Malmberg (MN), 8-3
2. Kristin Cargill/Jessi Robinson (Duke) def. Mousseau/Spilca (MN), 8-3
3. Clelia Deltour/Tory Zawacki (Duke) def. Steiger/Tellefsen (MN), 8-2
Minnesota vs. Winthrop - Singles
1. Malmberg (MN) def. Patricia Coimbra (WU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Ana P. Novaes (WU) def. Mariana Spilca (MN), 6-4, 6-0
3. Mousseau (MN) def. Larisa Bekmeteva (WU), 6-3, 6-7, (10-7)
Minnesota vs. Virginia - Singles
5. Shannon Stough (UV) def. Steiger (MN), 6-3, 6-2
6. Caroline Hammond (UV) def. Tellefsen (MN), 6-0, 6-1