10thThe University of Minnesota women's tennis team saw its season come to a close this afternoon in Evanston, Ill., after losing 4-0 to Iowa in the first round of the 2004 Big Ten Championships. The 10th-seeded Golden Gophers went 0-3 in singles and 1-2 in doubles against seventh-seeded Iowa to finish the season with a 3-19 overall record (1-9 Big Ten).
The 40th-ranked Hawkeyes went 2-1 in doubles to take the early 1-0 lead. After an 8-0 Iowa win at No. 3, Minnesota's top duo of Angela Buergis and Nischela Reddy dispatched Meg Racette and Hillary Mintz, 8-4, to set up the deciding match at No. 2. Iowa's Deni Alexandrova and Anastasia Zhukova prevailed with an 8-4 win over Ida Malmberg and Lindsay Risebrough to clinch the doubles point.
In singles play, the Hawkeyes rattled off three straight wins at Nos. 2, 5 and 6 to clinch the dual win and advance to the quarterfinals. Hilary Tyler shut out Emily Bezek at No. 6, 6-0, 6-0, and Alexandrova dropped M egan Steiger, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 5 to give Iowa the 3-0 lead. The Hawkeyes closed out the dual with Mintz's 6-1, 6-2 victory over Reddy at No. 2. The Golden Gophers were trailing after the first set in each of the singles matches when the dual was called after Iowa's win at No. 2.
The season may not be over for one Golden Gopher as Buergis will look to gain an at-large bid to the NCAA Championships in late May.
Iowa 4, Minnesota 0
2004 Big Ten Championships - First Round
April 29, 2004
1. Meg Racette (IA) led Angela Buergis (MN), 6-4, 3-2 (DNF)
2. Hillary Mintz (IA) def. Nischela Reddy (MN), 6-1, 6-2
3. Chelsea Glynn (IA) led Lindsay Risebrough (MN), 7-5, 1-2 (DNF)
4. Anastasia Zhukova (IA) led Ida Malmberg (MN), 6-4, 2-2 (DNF)
5. Deni Alexandrova (IA) def. Megan Steiger (MN), 6-0, 6-1
6. Hilary Tyler (IA) def. Emily Bezek (MN), 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 6,5,2
1. Buergis/Reddy (MN) def. Racette/Mintz (IA), 8-4
2. Alexandrova/Zhukova (IA)def. Malmberg/Risebrough (MN),8-4
3. Glynn/Tyler (IA)def. Shelby Rohrer/ Jenna Tellefsen (MN),8-0
Order of finish: 3,1,2