11The University of Minnesota women's tennis team closed out the 2004-05 season this morning with a 4-0 loss to Purdue in the first round of the 2005 Big Ten Championship in East Lansing, Mich. The 11th-seeded Golden Gophers nearly pulled off two doubles wins to gain the early lead, but the sixth-seeded at 49th-ranked Boilermakers won the doubles point and clinched the match with three quick singles wins. The Maroon and Gold finishes its season with a 6-15 overall record and a 1-9 mark in the Big Ten.
The opening round dual of the conference tournament began with Minnesota and Purdue splitting doubles matches at Nos. 1 and 2. The Golden Gophers picked up their victory at No. 2 as Ida Malmberg and Jane Anderson dispatched Shawna Zuccarini and Lara Burgarello, 8-5, to set up the deciding match at No. 3. Minnesota fought hard in the match, but Nischela Reddy and Marina Bugaenco fell, 8-6, to Stephanie Wooten and Amy Walgenbach to give the Boilers the team point.
Purdue walked away with the team win with three straight-set wins at Nos. 3, 5 and 6 singles. At No. 3, Zuccarini downed Lindsay Risebrough, 6-1, 6-4, to drop the Golden Gophers' dual record to 6-8 this season. The Boilermakers made it 3-0 at No. 5 with Walgenbach's 6-3, 6-3 triumph over Danielle Mousseau. Mousseau closed out her freshman season with a 8-25 overall record.
Purdue wrapped up the shutout at No. 6 with a 6-4, 6-2 win by Alyssa Rodriguez over Bugaenco. With the loss, Bugaenco finised her rookie year with an 8-25 overall record. The Boilermakers advance to the second round to take on No. 3 seed Iowa at 2 p.m., tomorrow.
Minnesota's top player, junior captain Nischela Reddy hopes her strong play throughout the season leads to a bid to the 2005 NCAA Championships in singles play. The singles bracket for the NCAA Tournament will be announced in early May.
#11 seed Minnesota vs. #6 seed/#49 national Purdue
2005 Big Ten Championships - First Round
April 28, 2005
East Lansing, Mich.
1. Brooke Beier/Hala Sufi (PU) def. Danielle Mousseau/Lindsay Risebrough (MINN), 8 -2
2. Ida Malmberg/Jane Anderson (MINN) def. Shawna Zuccarini/Lara Burgarello (PU), 8 -5
3. Stephanie Wooten/Amy Walgenbach (PU) def. Nischela Reddy/Marina Bugaenco (MINN), 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. #74 Hala Sufi (PU) vs. #94 Nischela Reddy (MINN), 3-3 abandoned
2. Stephanie Wooten (PU) vs. Jane Anderson (MINN), 1-1 abandoned
3 Shawna Zuccarini (PU) def. Lindsay Risebrough (MINN), 6-1, 6-4
4. Brooke Beier (PU) led Ida Malmberg (MINN), 6-2, 5-5 abandoned
5. Amy Walgenbach (PU) def. Danielle Mousseau (MINN), 6-3, 6-3
6. Alyssa Rodriguez (PU) def. Marina Bugaenco (MINN), 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 6
#6 Purdue def. #11 Minnesota, 4-0