For the second time in five days, Minnesota edged Purdue in a tight match as the Gophers earned a spot in the Big Ten women's tennis tournament quarterfinals with a 4-2 win on Thursday in West Lafayette, Ind.
The Gophers, who are 15-10 overall, beat the Boilermakers 4-3 in Sunday's regular season finale and will now face top-seeded Northwestern on Friday at 10 a.m. The Wildcats are 23-1 overall and the nation's top-ranked team.
Minnesota cruised to a pair of wins in doubles to take an early 1-0 lead. Karina Chiarelli and Lindsay Risebrough rolled to an 8-1 win at No. 3 and Danielle Mousseau and Jackie Sperling posted an 8-3 win at No. 1.
After Risebrough lost her No. 2 singles match to Purdue's Stephanie Wooten, the Gophers took a 3-1 lead as Mousseau won 6-4, 6-3 at No. 5 and Tijana Koprivica won by the same count at No. 4. The Boilermakers pulled to within 3-2 as Brooke Beier avenged a three-set loss to Alessandra Ferrazzi with a 7-5, 6-3 win at No. 1 singles.
Minnesota had a chance to seal the team victory when Karina Chiarelli led her No. 3 singles match 6-3, 5-4, but Purdue's Cigdem Duru battled back to win the last three games and force a third set. However, the match no longer mattered when the Gophers' Jackie Sperling finished off a three-set win of her own by pulling out a 6-1, 1-6, 6-2 win over Alejandra Boeker at No. 6 singles. Sperling lost a straight-sets match to Boeker in the dual match on Sunday.
Tennis Match Results
Minnesota vs Purdue
Apr 24, 2008 at West Lafayette, Ind.
(Schwartz Tennis Center)
#64 Minnesota 4, Purdue 2
1. Brooke Beier (PUR) def. Alessandra Ferrazzi (MINN) 7-5, 6-3
2. Stephanie Wooten (PUR) def. Lindsay Risebrough (MINN) 6-4, 6-0
3. Cigdem Duru (PUR) vs. Karina Chiarelli (MINN) 3-6, 5-7, unfinished
4. Tijana Koprivica (MINN) def. Joanna Craven (PUR) 6-4, 6-3
5. Danielle Mousseau (MINN) def. Anna Dzeva (PUR) 6-4, 6-3
6. Jackie Sperling (MINN) def. Alejandra Boeker (PUR) 6-1, 1-6, 6-2
1. Karina Chiarelli/Lindsay Risebrough (MINN) def. Brooke Beier/Stephanie Wooten (PUR) 8-3
2. Cigdem Duru/Joanna Craven (PUR) vs. Alessandra Ferrazzi/Tijana Koprivica (MINN) 4-7, unfinished
3. Danielle Mousseau/Jackie Sperling (MINN) def. Alejandra Boeker/Whitney Reys (PUR) 8-1
Minnesota 15-10; National ranking #64
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (2,4,5,1,6)