Magdalena Wiecha won a three-set match at No. 6 singles, but it was Minnesota's lone victory in a 6-1 loss to ninth-ranked Northwestern on Sunday in Evanston, Ill.
Wiecha rallied after being blanked in the opening set by Elena Chernyakova to win 0-6, 6-4, 6-3 for the Gophers' victory. Northwestern took the other five singles matches in straight sets to improve to 16-6 overall and 7-1 in the Big Ten, while Minnesota lost for the fourth straight time and dropped to 10-12 overall and 3-6 in the Big Ten.
Minnesota also had a victory from Alessandra Ferrazzi and Alexa Palen at No. 1 doubles as the tandem defeated Northwestern's Lauren Lui and Samantha Murray 8-7, however, the Wildcats won the other two matches to take the doubles point.
Maria Mosolova, the nation's 13th-ranked player, defeated Tijana Koprivica 6-2, 6-0 at No. 1 singles and Kate Turvy followed with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Palen at No. 4 singles to put the Wildcats ahead 3-0. Northwestern clinched the team victory when Lui downed Jackie Sperling 6-4, 6-0 at No. 3.
Murray, ranked 37th in the country, defeated Ferrazzi 6-2, 6-4 at No. 2 and Stacey Lee added a 7-6, 6-2 win over Doron Muravnik at No. 5 for Northwestern's other two victories.
The Gophers wrap up the regular season by hosting Purdue on Sun., April 25 at noon at the Baseline Tennis Center.
#9 Northwestern 6, #60 Minnesota 1
1. #13 Maria Mosolova (NU) def. Tijana Koprivica (MINN) 6-2, 6-0
2. #37 Samantha Murray (NU) def. Alessandra Ferrazzi (MINN) 6-2, 6-4
3. #108 Lauren Lui (NU) def. Jackie Sperling (MINN) 6-4, 6-0
4. Kate Turvy (NU) def. Alexa Palen (MINN) 6-1, 6-1
5. Stacey Lee (NU) def. Doron Muravnik (MINN) 7-6, 6-2
6. Magdalena Wiecha (MINN) def. Elena Chernyakova (NU) 0-6, 6-4, 6-3
1. Alessandra Ferrazzi/Alexa Palen (MINN) def. #82 Lauren Lui/Samantha Murray (NU) 8-7
2. Maria Mosolova/Elena Chernyakova (NU) def. Tijana Koprivica/Jackie Sperling (MINN) 8-1
3. Linda Abu Mushrefova/Kate Turvy (NU) def. Mariana Spilca/Magdalena Wiecha (MINN) 8-3
Minnesota 10-12, 3-6 Big Ten; National ranking #60
Northwestern 16-6, 7-1 Big Ten; National ranking #9
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,4,3,2,6,5)