Angela Buergis picked up a big win, defeating 38th-ranked Dora Vastag at No. 1 singles. Buergis and Emily Bezek were honored on Senior Day between the doubles and singles matches.
With the loss, Minnesota falls to 2-17 overall and 0-8 in the Big Ten. The Maroon and Gold has now lost 13 straight dual matches.
In doubles play, Indiana went 3-0 to gain the first lead of the dual. At No. 1, Linda Tran and Sarah Batty upended UM's 51st-ranked duo of Buergis and Nischela Reddy, 9-8 (6).
Buergis, ranked 69th in singles, picked up the dual's big win at No. 1, downing Vastag, 6-3, 6-2, to snap a two-match losing streak. Buergis is now 13-6 this spring and 5-3 in the Big Ten. At No. 2, Reddy fought off three match points in the second set before finally succumbing to Tran, 6-2, 7-6 (8). Indiana clinched the dual win with Laura McGaffigan's 6-3, 6-1 win over Ida Malmberg at No. 4.
The Golden Gophers wrap up the regular season next weekend at Penn State on Saturday, April 24, and at Ohio State on Sunday, April 25.
#30 Indiana 6, Minnesota 1
Baseline Tennis Center
April 18, 2004
1. #69 Angela Buergis (MN) def. #38 Dora Vastag (IU), 6-3, 6-2
2. Linda Tran (IU) def. Nischela Reddy (MN), 6-2, 7-6 (8)
3. Sarah Batty (IU) def. Lindsay Risebrough (MN), 6-2, 6-4
4. Laura McGaffigan (IU) def. Ida Malmberg (MN), 6-3, 6-1
5. Karie Schlukebir (IU) def. Emily Bezek (MN), 6-0, 6-0
6. Cecile Perton (IU) def. Megan Steiger (MN), 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 5,6,4,1,3,2
1. Tran/Batty (IU) def. Buergis/Reddy (MN), 9-8 (6)
2. McGaffigan/Vastag (IU) def. Malmberg/Risebrough (MN), 8-4
3. Schlukebir/Martina Grimm (IU) def. Bezek/Shelby Rohrer (MN), 8-0
Order of finish: 3,2,1