The University of Minnesota women's tennis team struggled on the road today, falling 7-0 to 35th-ranked Indiana in Bloomington, Ind. The Golden Gophers (4-15, 1-6 Big Ten) were swept in three doubles matches and six singles matches to see their road record fall to 1-8 on the season.
The Hoosiers (16-5, 6-1) opened the dual with three convincing doubles wins to take the early 1-0 lead. After two 8-1 IU wins at Nos. 2 and 3, Indiana's 57th-ranked duo of Sarah Batty and Laura McGaffigan completed the sweep with an 8-2 victory over Ida Malmberg and Nischela Reddy at No. 1. With the loss, Malmberg and Reddy fell to 2-5 in Big Ten doubles action.
Indiana cruised to the team win with five straight-set victories in singles play. At No. 1, Reddy lost for only the second time in conference play with a 6-1, 6-2 loss to Batty. The Golden Gopher senior is now 5-2 in Big Ten singles matches. Malmberg moved to 4-3 in the conference with a 6-2, 6-1 defeat at the hands of McGaffigan at No. 2.
The Hoosiers continued their strong play with straight-set victories at Nos. 3, 4 and 6. At No. 5, Minnesota's Jane Anderson won the first set, 6-3, but fell, 6-1, 1-0 (1) in the second two sets to Alba Berdala to wrap up the sweep.
The Maroon and Gold closes out its regular season road schedule tomorrow with a dual at Penn State at 10 a.m. Minnesota then returns home to wrap up the regular season with matches against Illinois and Purdue on April 22 and 23 at the Baseline Tennis Center. The dual against the Boilermakers on Sunday, April 23 will be the last home match for the Golden Gophers' three seniors - Nischela Reddy, Shelby Rohrer and Megan Steiger.
Minnesota at #35 Indiana
April 15, 2006
1. Sarah Batty (IU) def. Nischela Reddy (MN), 6-1, 6-2
2. Laura McGaffigan (IU) def. Ida Malmberg (MN), 6-2, 6-1
3. Brianna Williams (IU) def. Danielle Mousseau (MN), 6-3, 6-1
4. Sigrid Fischer (IU) def. Mariana Spilca (MN), 6-0, 6-2
5. Alba Berdala (IU) def. Jane Anderson (MN), 3-6, 6-1, 1-0 (1)
6. Cecile Perton (IU) def. Marina Bugaenco (MN), 6-1, 6-3
1. #57 Batty/McGaffigan (IU) def. Reddy/Malmberg (MN), 8-2
2. Fischer/Williams (IU) def. Spilca/Mousseau (MN), 8-1
3. Marah Calvo/Perton (IU) def. Anderson/Bugaenco (MN), 8-1
#35 Indiana def. Minnesota, 7-0