tieThe University of Women's Tennis Team continued its torrid play with a 7-0 win at Indiana on Sunday afternoon. The Golden Gophers continue to lead the Big Ten with a 7-1 record. Minnesota finished tied for 10th in the league last year with a 1-9 record.
The Golden Gophers claimed the doubles points with wins at No. 2 and 3. Angela Buergis and Nischela Reddy defeated Satah Batty and Martina Grimm, 9-7, at No. 2. Michaela Havelkova and Brandi Watts downed Jessica Groth and Sophie Rychlik at No. 3, 8-1.
Minnesota swept the six singles matches, including Angela Buergis' 6-1, 1-6, 1-0 (7) win at No. 1. Valerie Vladea claimed the win at No. 2 after Grimm retired with the score at 6-7, 3-2. Amy Thomas and Michaela Havelkova earned wins at No. 3 and 4, respectively.
Freshman Nischela Reddy won her fifth straight singles match with a 6-1, 6-2 victory against Rychlik. Watts won at No. 6 singles, 6-0, 6-3, vs. Groth.
The Golden Gophers will close out the regular season at home vs. Ohio State on Saturday and Penn State on Sunday. With a pair of wins, Minnesota will clinch a share of its first-ever Big Ten regular-season title.
No. 27 Minnesota 7, Indiana 0
1) Angela Buergis (UM) def. Sarah Batty (IU) 6-2, 1-6, 1-0 (7)
2) Valerie Vladea (UM) def. Martina Grimm (IU) 6-7, 3-2, retire
3) Amy Thomas (UM) def. Dominika Walterova (IU) 6-2, 6-2
4) Michaela Havelkova (UM) def. Karie Schlukebir (IU) 6-2, 6-2
5) Nischela Reddy (UM) def. Sophie Rychlik (IU) 6-1, 6-2
6) Brandi Watts (UM) def. Jessica Groth (IU) 6-0, 6-3
1) Schlukebir/Tran (IU) def. Thomas/Vladea (UM) 8-4
2) Buergis/Reddy (UM) def. Batty/Grimm (IU) 9-7
3) Havelkova/Watts (UM) def. Groth/Rychlik (IU) 8-1