setThe University of Minnesota women's tennis team lost all nine of its matches today to fall 7-0 to ninth-ranked Northwestern in Evanston, Ill. The Golden Gophers pushed two singles matches to three sets, but failed to pick up any wins to fall to 2-15 overall and 0-6 in the Big Ten.
The Wildcats opened the dual with a 3-0 mark in doubles play, including the nation's second-ranked team of Cristelle Grier and Jessica Rush dispatching Minnesota's Angela Buergis and Nischela Reddy, 8-5. The loss snapped the Golden Gopher duo's three-match winning streak.
In singles action, Northwestern went 6-0, but the Maroon and Gold pushed two contests to three sets. At No. 2, Reddy lost 6-7, 6-1, (10- 7), to the 55th-ranked Rush. At No. 4, Lindsay Risebrough fell to 5- 11 this spring with a 6-3, 2-6, (10-7) loss to Jamie Peisel. Buergis, Minnesota's top player, lost 6-2, 6-4, to third-ranked Grier. Buergis is 4-2 in her last six matches.
The Golden Gophers continue Big Ten play on the road tomorrow with a dual against Wisconsin at 11 a.m., in Madison, Wis.
No. 9 Northwestern 7, Minnesota 0
April 10, 2004
1. #3 Cristelle Grier (NU) def. Angela Buergis (MN), 6-2, 6-4
2. #55 Jessica Rush (NU) def. Nischela Reddy (MN), 6-7, 6-1, (10-7)
3. Alexis Prousis (NU) def. Ida Malmberg (MN), 6-2, 6-4
4. Jamie Peisel (NU) def. Lindsay Risebrough (MN), 6-3, 2-6, (10-7)
5. Andrea Yung (NU) def. Megan Steiger (MN), 6-0, 6-0
6. Ruth Barnes (NU) def. Jenna Tellefsen (MN), 6-0, 6-0
1. #2 Rush/Grier (NU) def. Buergis/Reddy (MN), 8-5
2. Prousis/Peisel (NU) def. Malmberg/Risebrough (MN), 8-4
3. Yung/Connie Chiang (NU) def. Emily Bezek/Shelby Rohrer (MN), 8-0