The Minnesota women's tennis team was unable to win consecutive matches for the first time since Feb. 13/18, falling to 66th-ranked Purdue 7-0 at the Schwartz Tennis Center in West Lafayette, Ind. on Saturday. PU was the last opponent on the Gophers' schedule currently ranked in the ITA top 75.
The Boilermakers started fast, winning at the first and third doubles positions to take the match's first point. Alexa Palen and Mariana Spilca helped UM avoid being swept in the doubles competition by winning their match 8-4 at No. 2.
With Gopher lineup regular Magdalena Wiecha out of the singles competition, Purdue quickly built on its lead by taking No. 5 and 6 singles in straight sets. PU's Imogen Golder dispatched Doron Muravnik in straight sets and Spilca was defeated by Gisella Pere 6-2, 6-3 soon after.
Minnesota, who won after erasing a 3-0 deficit against Michigan State last weekend, was incapable of finding the same magic on Saturday.
PU sealed its tenth victory of the season when Anna Duskina finished off Yuliana Umanets in two sets at No. 4. After 56th-ranked Natallia Pintusava was knocked off at the top spot, Palen fell in the only singles match to reach three sets at the third position. Palen won her first set against Mara Schmidt 6-2, but was edged out in a second-set tiebreaker before narrowly losing in the super tiebreaker 10-8.
Alessandra Ferrazzi's match was the last to finish. Bhavani Tirumurti defeated the UM senior 6-4, 7-5 to complete the overall sweep of the match for the Boilermakers.
The Gophers will look to bounce back tomorrow with a match in Bloomington, Ind. against last-place Indiana. Minnesota travels to Penn State and Ohio State next weekend before completing regular season play at the Baseline Tennis Center against Illinois and Iowa.
No. 66 Purdue 7, Minnesota 0
April 9, 2011
Schwartz Tennis Center • West Lafayette, Ind.
1. Jennifer Rabot (PUR) def. No. 56 Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 6-4, 7-5
2. Bhavani Tirumurti (PUR) def. Alessandra Ferrazzi (MINN) 7-6 (5), 6-3
3. Mara Schmidt (PUR) def. Alexa Palen (MINN) 2-6, 7-6 (5), 1-0 (8)
4. Anna Dushkina (PUR) def. Yuliana Umanets (MINN) 6-3, 6-4
5. Imogen Golder (PUR) def. Doron Muravnik (MINN) 6-3, 6-3
6. Gisella Pere (PUR) def. Mariana Spilca (MINN) 6-2, 6-3
1. No. 38 Jennifer Rabot/Mara Schmidt (PUR) def. Alessandra Ferrazzi/Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 8-5
2. Alexa Palen/Mariana Spilca (MINN) def. Gisella Pere/Anna Dushkina (PUR) 8-4
3. Bhavani Tirumurti/Imogen Golder (PUR) def. Doron Muravnik/Magdalena Wiecha (MINN) 8-4
Purdue 10-6 (4-2 Big Ten); National Ranking No. 66
Minnesota 5-12 (1-5 Big Ten)
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,6,4,1,3,2)