The Minnesota women's tennis team (4-14, 1-5) turned in an excellent effort against Wisconsin this afternoon outdoors at the Baseline Tennis Center to earn a 4-3 win and their first conference victory. The Gophers took the advantage early by winning the doubles point and split in singles to protect their one-point lead. With the win, the Maroon and Gold snapped a 10-dual losing streak.
In doubles play Nischela Reddy and Ida Malmberg won at No. 1, 8-3, and Mariana Spilca and Danielle Mousseau won at No. 2, 9-8 (5), to clinch the doubles point.
The Maroon and Gold carried the momentum from doubles play into the singles matches. Nischela Reddy and Ida Malmberg won at Nos. 1 and 2 in two sets and Danielle Mousseau won the last match at No. 3 in three sets to lock up the win.
The Gophers continue their season next weekend at Indiana on April 15 and Penn State on April 16.
April 9, 2006
Baseline Tennis Center
1. Nischela Reddy (MN) def. Kaylan Caiati (WI), 6 -4, 6-2
2. Ida Malmberg (MN) def. Chelsea Nusslock (WI), 6-1, 6-2
3. Danielle Mousseau (MN) def. Nicole Beck (WI), 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
4. Elizabeth Carpenter (WI) def. Mariana Spilca (MN), 6-0, 6-2
5. Morgan Tuttle (WI) def. Jane Anderson (MN), 6-2, 6-4
6. Lexi Goldin (WI) def. Marina Bugaenco (MN), 6-0, default
1. Reddy/Malmberg (MN) def. Carpenter/Caiati (WI), 8-3
2. Spilca/Mousseau (MN) def. Tuttle/Nusslock (WI), 9-8 (7-5)
3. Beck/Erin Jobe (WI) def. Shelby Roherer/Jenna Tellefsen (MN), 8- 1
Minnesota def. Wisconsin, 4-3