The University of Minnesota women's tennis team dropped a 6-1 dual to 33rd-ranked Wisconsin at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison, Wis., today. The 65th-ranked Golden Gophers (5-10, 0-5 Big Ten) won only one singles and one doubles match to lose their sixth consecutive dual.
The Badgers jumped out to the 1-0 lead with a 2-1 showing in doubles play. The Maroon and Gold picked up its lone victory at No. 2 as Ida Malmberg and Jane Anderson dispatched Kaylan Caiati and Lindsay Martin, 8-6. With the win, Malmberg and Anderson picked up their first win as a doubles duo.
In singles play, Minnesota went 1-5 with the only triumph coming at No. 3. Anderson improved to 8-8 this spring and 2-3 in conference play with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Martin. At No. 1, UM's Nischela Reddy, ranked 70th in the nation, saw her three-match winning streak come to an end with her 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 upset loss to 91st-ranked Katie McGaffigan. In the only other three-set match of the day, Caiati downed Lindsay Risebrough, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 at No. 4.
The Golden Gophers stay on the road tomorrow to face the nation's second-ranked team, Northwestern at 11 a.m., in Evanston, Ill.
#65 Minnesota at #33 Wisconsin
Saturday, April 9
1. #91 Katie McGaffigan (UW) def. #70 Nischela Reddy (MN), 6-2, 4-6, 6 -3
2. #83 Caitlin Burke (UW) def. Ida Malmberg (MN), 6-2, 6-2
3. Jane Anderson (MN) def. Lindsay Martin (UW), 6 -2, 6-0
4. Kaylan Caiati (UW) def. Lindsay Risebrough (MN), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Nicole Beck (UW) def. Danielle Mousseau (MN), 6-0, 6-4
6. Chelsea Nusslock (UW) def. Marina Bugaenco (MN), 6-0, 6-2
1. McGaffigan/Burke (UW) def. Risebrough/Reddy (MN), 8-2
2. Anderson/Malmberg (MN) def. Martin/Caiati (UW), 8-6
3. Beck/Nusslock (UW) def. Bugaenco/Mousseau (MN), 8-4
Order of finish: 1,2,3
#33 Wisconsin def. #65Minnesota, 6-1
Wisconsin: 12-5, 4-2 Big Ten
Minnesota: 5-10, 0-5 Big Ten