The University of Minnesota women's tennis team claimed two upset victories in doubles this afternoon, but went on to lose 5-2 in the dual to No. 20 Michigan at the Baseline Tennis Center. The Golden Gophers (2-14, 0-5 Big Ten) posted doubles wins at Nos. 1 and 2 to win only their third doubles point of the season and the first in Big Ten duals.
Minnesota's top duo of A ngela Buergis and Ni schela Reddy upset Michigan's 30th-ranked team of Michelle DaCosta and Kara Delicata, 8-6, to improve to 8-8 in the spring and 3-2 in the conference. Buergis and Reddy have now won three straight matches. The Maroon and Gold gained the doubles point when Id a Malmberg and Li ndsay Risebrough shocked No. 32 Kim Plaushines and Debra Streifler, 9-8 (4), in a nailbiter. The win was the duo's second in Big Ten play and only its fourth of the season.
The Wolverines rallied during singles action, winning five of six matches. The Golden Gophers battled in each of the top three spots, but Buergis at No. 1 was the lone winner, defeating DaCosta, 6-2, 5-7, (13-11). Buergis is now 12-4 this spring and 4-1 in the Big Ten. Michigan's 72nd-ranked Elizabeth Exon clinched the dual win at No. 2 with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Reddy.
Minnesota heads on the road next weekend to face Northwestern and Wisconsin on April 10-11.
#20 Michigan 5, Minnesota 2
Baseline Tennis Center
April 4, 2004
1. A ngela Buergis (MN) def. Michelle DaCosta (MI), 6-2, 5-7, (13-11)
2. #72 Elizabeth Exon (MI) def. Ni schela Reddy (MN), 6-3, 6-4
3. Kavitha Tipirneni (MI) def. Li ndsay Risebrough (MN), 6-3, 5-7, 6-1
4. Chrissie Nolan (MI) def. Id a Malmberg (MN), 6-1, 6-0
5. Debra Streifler (MI) def. M egan Steiger (MN), 6-2, 6-0
6. Kara Delicata (MI) def. S helby Rohrer (MN), 6-0, 6-0
1. Buergis/Reddy (MN) def. #30 DaCosta/Delicata (MI), 8-6
2. Risebrough/Malmberg (MN) def. #32 Kim Plaushines/Streifler (MI), 9-8 (4)
3. Leanne Rutherford/Lindsey Goldstein (MI) def. Je nna Tellefsen/M eghan Wahlin (MN), 8-1