Alessandra Ferrazzi won the final singles match on Saturday to give the University of Minnesota women’s tennis team a 4-3 victory against Penn State University at the Baseline Tennis Center.
The Golden Gophers went down 3-1 before Jackie Sperling, Lindsay Risebrough and Ferrazzi all won their singles matches to give Minnesota the narrow victory.
“We were fortunate to win today,” Gophers’ head coach Tyler Thomson said. “Penn State was more consistently competitive than we were and we will strive to be better for tomorrow’s game against Michigan.”
Karina Chiarelli and Risebrough were the only Gophers to win in both their singles and doubles matches and the duo started the day strong with an 8-4 win at the No. 1 doubles. Chiarelli went on to win 6-4, 6-4 at the No. 4 singles and Risebrough followed with a 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 victory at the No. 2 singles.
Sperling pulled out a two-set win at the No. 5 singles with a 6-4, 7-5 victory. In addition, Ferrazzi won her No. 1 singles with a 4-6, 6-3, 7-5 count that sealed the victory for Minnesota.
The Gophers, ranked 57th nationally, improve their record to 11-5 overall and are 1-2 in the Big Ten. Penn State is now 7-7 overall and is 1-2 in conference play.
Minnesota will next face the 29th-ranked University of Michigan on Sunday at the Baseline Tennis Center. Doubles are expected to start at 11 a.m.
Minnesota 4, Penn State 3
1. Karina Chiarelli/Lindsay Risebrough (MINN) def. Sarah Lotto/Jenny Shular (PSU) 8-4
2. Lauren McCarthy/Katelyn BeVard (PSU) def. Alessandra Ferrazzi/Tijana Koprivica (MINN) 8-5
3. Dorothy Dohanics/Lauren Holzberg (PSU) def. Mikayla Rogers/Jackie Sperling (MINN) 8-6
1. Ferrazzi (MINN) def. BeVard (PSU) 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. Risebrough (MINN) def. Holzberg (PSU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
3. Shular (PSU) def. Koprivica (MINN) 6-1, 7-5
4. Chiarelli (MINN) def. Dohanics (PSU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Sperling (MINN) def. Denisa Zobeideh (PSU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Leyla Morzan (PSU) def. Rogers (MINN) 7-5, 6-3
Penn State 7-7, 1-2 Big Ten
Minnesota 11-5, 1-2 Big Ten; National ranking #57