The University of Minnesota women's tennis team wrapped up its five-week, eight-match road trip today with a 5-2 loss at 66th-ranked Ohio State in Columbus, Ohio. The Golden Gophers (3-11, 0-2 Big Ten) went 0-3 in doubles before picking its lone two wins at Nos. 1 and 2 singles. The Buckeyes (9-5, 1-0) took the early 1-0 lead with three doubles wins. After a convincing win at No. 3, Sonia Ruzimovsky and Angela DiPastina clinched the doubles point with an 8-5 win over Mariana Spilca and Danielle Mousseau at No. 2. At No. 1 doubles, Nischela Reddy and Ida Malmberg fell to 10-4 this spring with an 8-5 loss to Caitlin O'Keefe and Julie Blackmore.
OSU gained the 2-0 lead with a quick win at No. 6 singles, before Minnesota knotted the match at 2-2 with wins at Nos. 1 and 2. At No. 1, Reddy improved to 8-6 this spring with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over O'Keefe. Reddy is unbeaten in Big Ten play this season at 2-0. Malmberg then moved her dual record to 7-7 (2-0 Big Ten) with her 7-5, 6-2 win over Ruzimovsky. From there, Ohio State cruised to team win with three consecutive straight- set victories at Nos. 3-6 singles.
Minnesota returns home next weekend to host Michigan and Michigan State at the Baseline Tennis Center.
Minnesota at #66 Ohio State
March 25, 2006
1. Nischela Reddy (MN) def. Caitlin O'Keefe (OSU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Ida Malmberg (MN) def. Sonia Ruzimovsky (OSU), 7-5, 6-2
3. Julie Blackmore (OSU) def. Mariana Spilca (MN), 6-3, 6-3
4. Ciara Finucane (OSU) def. Danielle Mousseau (MN), 7-5, 7-6 (4)
5. Kristin Messmer (OSU) def. Marina Bugaenco (MN), 6-0, 6-1
6. Julie Voss (OSU) def. Jenna Tellefsen (MN), 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 6,1,2,3,5,4
1. O'Keefe/Blackmore (OSU) def. Reddy/Malmberg (MN), 8-5
2. Ruzimovsky/Angela DiPastina (OSU) def. Spilca/Mousseau (MN), 8-5
3. Finucane/Messmer (OSU) def. Bugaenco/Shelby Rohrer (MN), 8-2
Order of finish: 3,2,1
#66 Ohio State def. Minnesota, 5-2
Minnesota 3-11 (0-2 Big Ten)
Ohio State 9-5 (1-0 Big Ten)