Tijana Koprivica claimed a straight-sets victory at No. 4 singles, but it was Minnesota’s lone victory in a 6-1 women’s tennis loss to Ohio State late Saturday in Columbus, Ohio.
The Gophers, ranked 49th nationally, dropped to 10-4 overall and 0-2 in the Big Ten. Ohio State is now 13-3 overall and 1-1 in the conference.
The start of the match was delayed due to a power failure, but Ohio State got off to a quick start with victories in all three doubles matches. Koprivica and Alessandra Ferrazzi had the tightest match, dropping a tiebreaker by score of 7-5 at No. 2.
In singles, Koprivica posted a 6-3, 6-4 victory for the Gophers’ lone team point. Lindsay Risebrough battled to a first-set tiebreaker loss at No. 2 with a 7-6 (7-5), 7-2 loss.
The Gophers continue their Big Ten road swing on Sunday at Indiana.
#31 Ohio State 6, #49 Minnesota 1
1. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Alessandra Ferrazzi (MINN) 6-2, 6-3
2. Angela DiPastina (OSU) def. Lindsay Risebrough (MINN) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
3. Julie Blackmore (OSU) def. Karina Chiarelli (MINN) 6-2, 6-3
4. Tijana Koprivica (MINN) def. Christina Keesey (OSU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Danielle Mousseau (MINN) 6-0, 6-2
6. Caitlin O'Keefe (OSU) def. Jackie Sperling (MINN) 6-4, 6-1
1. Angela DiPastina/Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Karina Chiarelli/Lindsay Risebrough (MINN) 8-3
2. Julie Blackmore/Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Alessandra Ferrazzi/Tijana Koprivica (MINN) 8-7 (7-5)
3. Caitlin O'Keefe/Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Danielle Mousseau/Jackie Sperling (MINN) 8-4