Tijana Koprivica won in both singles and doubles, but the College of Charleston won four of the six singles matches to pull out a 4-3 victory over Minnesota on Wednesday in Charleston, S.C.
Koprivica defeated Kinsey Casey 6-2, 6-1 at No. 3 singles and Peta Forsyth was a 7-6, 6-1 winner over Amanda Schwarz at No. 6 singles. However, the Cougars won the other four matches to pull out the win and move to 14-3 for the season. Minnesota, ranked 59th in the country, fell to 7-5 overall.
Forsyth’s win put the Gophers up 3-2, but the Cougars won the final two singles matches in three sets as Nina Burgoon beat Jackie Sperling 6-1, 4-6, 6-4 at No. 5 and Caroline Newman rallied to beat Niltooli Wilkins 6-7, 6-3, 7-5 at No. 2. College of Charleston also had wins from Holly Dowse at No. 1 by a 6-2, 6-0 score over Alessandra Ferrazzi and from Keely Mulligan by a 6-2, 7-6 count over Magdalena Wiecha at No. 4.
Minnesota swept the doubles matches as Ferrazzi and Karina Chiarelli teamed for an 8-6 win at No. 1, Wilkins and Koprivica combined for an 8-2 win at No. 2 and Wiecha and Sperling were 8-1 victors at No. 3.
The Gophers travel to Michigan for a pair of Big Ten matches this weekend, taking on the Wolverines on Saturday and Michigan State on Sunday.
College of Charleston 4, Minnesota 3
Mar 18, 2009 at Mt. Pleasant, S.C. (CofC Tennis Center at Patriots Point)
1. Holly Dowse (COFCW) def. Alessandra Ferrazzi (MINN) 6-2, 6-0
2. Caroline Newman (COFCW) def. Niltooli Wilkins (MINN) 6-7, 6-3, 7-5
3. Tijana Koprivica (MINN) def. Kinsey Casey (COFCW) 6-2, 6-1
4. Keely Mulligan (COFCW) def. Magdalena Wiecha (MINN) 6-2, 7-6
5. Nina Burgoon (COFCW) def. Jackie Sperling (MINN) 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
6. Peta Forsyth (MINN) def. Amanda Schwarz (COFCW) 7-6, 6-1
1. Karina Chiarelli/Alessandra Ferrazzi (MINN) def. Kinsey Casey/Keely Mulligan (COFCW) 8-6
2. Niltooli Wilkins/Tijana Koprivica (MINN) def. Holly Dowse/Caroline Newman (COFCW) 8-2
3. Magdalena Wiecha/Jackie Sperling (MINN) def. Amanda Schwarz/Nina Burgoon (COFCW) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,3,6,5,2)