The 52nd-ranked University of Minnesota women's tennis team opened its spring break trip to Louisiana today with a 5-1 win at 74th-ranked Louisiana-Lafayette. The Golden Gophers (8-4, 0-1 Big Ten) played one set of singles at the scheduled 2 p.m., start time before the rain came, delaying the match five hours. The two teams only played singles with the Maroon and Gold dropping only one straight-set match to win for the fourth time in the last five duals.
At No. 1, Ashley Schellhas improved to 8-3 this spring with a 5-7, 7-5, 6-2 victory over Tammy Day. Minnesota claimed its second three-set win of the day at No. 2 as Tijana Koprivica out-lasted Channel Meijer, 4-6, 6-2, 7-5.
The Maroon and Gold cruised to the team victory with straight-set wins at Nos. 4-6. Danielle Mousseau moved her winning streak to three matches at No. 4 with her 6-1, 7-5 triumph over Laura Martelli, while Ida Malmberg snapped her two-match losing streak with a 6-4, 7-5 win over Angela Dangold at No. 5. Karina Chiarelli wrapped up the dual with a 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 6 over Clemence Remy.
The Golden Gophers wrap up their spring break trip with a dual at 32nd-ranked LSU on Wednesday, March 14 at 3 p.m., in Baton Rouge, La.
#52 Minnesota at #74 Louisiana-Lafayette
March 12, 2007
1. Ashley Schellhas (MN) def. Tammy Day (ULL), 5-7, 7-5, 6-2
2. Myrthe Molenveld (ULL) def. Lindsay Risebrough (MN), 6-1, 6-1
3. Tijana Koprivica (MN) def. Channell Meijer (ULL), 4-6, 6-2, 7-5
4. Danielle Mousseau (MN) def. Laura Martelli (ULL), 6-1, 7-5
5. Ida Malmberg (MN) def. Angela Dangold (ULL), 6-4, 7-5
6. Karina Chiarelli (MN) def. Clemence Remy (ULL), 6-4, 6-4
#52 Minnesota def. #74 Louisiana-Lafayette, 5-1