0-6The University of Minnesota women's tennis team won only one match today in a 7-0 loss at Arizona in Tucson, Ariz. The 69th-ranked Golden Gophhers (5-5, 0-1 Big Ten) went 1 -2 in doubles play and 0-6 in singles matches in the defeat to the 49th-ranked Wildcats.
In doubles action, Jane Anderson and Nischela Reddy claimed Minnesota's lone win of the afternoon, defeating Stephanie Balzert and Kasia Jakowlew, 8-4, at No. 2. At No. 1, UA's 23rd-ranked duo of Maja Mlakar and Dianne Hollands shut out Ida Malmberg and Lindsay Risebrough, 8-0.
Arizona cruised to the team win with a perfect 6-0 showing in singles matches. The Maroon and Gold pushed only one match to three sets - Danielle Mousseau's 6-3, 0-6, 6 -3 loss to Jakowlew at No. 5. Reddy, ranked No. 80 in the nation, saw her record vs. ranked opponents fall to 3-3 with her 6-4, 6-3 loss to 38th-ranked Hollands at No. 1. Malmberg's four-match winning streak was snapped at No. 2 with a 6-1, 6-1 loss to Mlakar.
The Golden Gophers continue their spring break trip in Arizona this week with a dual at Arizona State on Wednesday, March 17, at 12 p.m.
#69 Minnesota at #49 Arizona
March 13, 2005
1. #38 Dianne Hollands (UA) def. #80 Nischela Reddy (MN), 6-4, 6-3
2. Maja Mlakar (UA) def. Ida Malmberg (MN), 6-1, 6-1
3. Stephanie Balzert (UA) def. Jane Anderson (MN), 6-4, 6-0
4. Kelly Perry (UA) def. Lindsay Risebrough (MN), 6-0, 6-3
5. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) def. Danielle Mousseau (MN), 6-3, 0-6, 6-3
6. Camelia Todorova (UA) def. Marina Bugaenco (MN), 6-1, 6-2
1. #23 Mlakar/Hollands (UA) def. Malmberg/Risebrough (MN), 8-0
2. Anderson/Reddy (MN) def. Jakowlew/Balzert (UA), 8-4
3. Perry/Jessie Rochefort def. Bugaenco/Mousseau (MN), 8-2
#49 Arizona def. #69 Minnesota, 7-0