The 67th-ranked University of Minnesota opened the 2007 Big Ten season with a 5-2 loss at 59th-ranked Iowa today in Iowa City. The Golden Gophers (6-4, 0-1 Big Ten) went 2-4 in singles play and 0-3 in doubles action to lose their fourth consecutive Big Ten opener.
The Hawkeyes (5-4, 1-0) opened the dual with a three-match sweep in doubles play. At No. 1, Milica Veselinovic and Jacqueline Lee dispatched Tijana Koprivica and Ashley Schellhas 8-3 to hand the Golden Gopher duo its first loss in dual matches this season. Iowa wrapped up the doubles point with an 8-4 win by Hillary Mintz and Merel Beelen over Ida Malmberg and Danielle Mousseau at No. 2 and Kayla Berry and Kelci Klockenga's 8-6 win over Karina Chiarelli and Lindsay Risebrough at No. 3.
The Maroon and Gold picked up singles wins at Nos. 1 and 5, but the Hawkeyes cruised to four straight-set wins to win their Big Ten opener. At No. 1, Schellhas improved to 7-3 in dual matches with a 7-5, 7-6 (6) win over Milica Veselinovic. Minnesota picked up its second win at No. 5 as Moussea out-lasted Klockenga, 6-2, 3-6, (10-7) to move her dual record to 7-3.
The Golden Gophers continue their six-match road trip next week with dual at Louisiana-Lafayette and LSU on March 12 and 14.
#67 Minnesota at #59 Iowa
March 4, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
1. Ashley Schellhas (MINN) def. Milica Veselinovic (Iowa), 7-5, 7-6 (6)
2. Jacqueline Lee (Iowa) def. Tijana Koprivica (MINN), 6-0, 6-0
3. Hillary Mintz (Iowa) def. Lindsay Risebrough (MINN), 6-1, 6-0
4. Kayla Berry (Iowa) def. Ida Malmberg (MINN), 6-1, 6-2
5. Danielle Mousseau (MINN) def. Kelci Klockenga (Iowa), 6-2, 3-6, (10-7)
6. Merel Beelen (Iowa) def. Karina Chiarelli (MINN), 6-3, 6-1
1. Veselinovic/Lee (Iowa) def. Koprivica/Schellhas (MINN), 8-3
2. Mintz/Beelen (Iowa) def. Malmberg/Mousseau (MINN), 8-4
3. Berry/Klockenga (Iowa) Chiarelli/Risebrough (MINN), 8-6
#59 Iowa def. #67 Minnesota, 5-2
Records: Iowa 5-4, 1-0 Big Ten; Minnesota 6-4, 0-1 Big Ten