Minnesota had lost its last six meetings with Iowa in dual matches before the 6-1 victory Friday night at the Baseline Tennis Center.
Minnesota, ranked 52nd nationally, got out of the gates early claiming the doubles point. The Gophers would then get the next five points to clinch the match from Iowa. The Gophers have had trouble with the pesky Hawkeyes, not being able to top them in a dual match since March 8, 2003 at Iowa.
Magdalena Wiecha got the singles started with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Kelcie Klockenga. She was followed up with wins by teammates Alessandra Ferrazzi at the No. 2 singles over Lynne Poggensee-Wei, and then Jackie Sperling who took down Alexis Dorr 6-4, 6-1. The next match was a hard fought match by Alexa Palen who topped Merel Beelen 6-3, 4-6, 10-8.
The freshman Doron Muravnik showed poise in a strong matchup against Jessica Young at the No. 4 singles winning 6-4, 6-7 (7), 10-3.
In the final match of the night at the No. 1 singles match Tijana Koprivica had her hands full with the 87th-ranked player in the country with Sonja Molnar. Koprivica took the first game 6-2, but then would fall to Molnar 6-4, 10-5 to finish it the night.
In doubles Muravnik and Spilca got the first win over Majercik and Beelen 8-3. They were followed by a loss at the No. 2 doubles spot, but then it was the pairing of Ferrazzi and Palen over Molnar and Poggensee-Wei 8-6 to grab the first point of the match.
The Gophers continue action this Sunday as they face Princeton at 11:00am and Carleton College 4:00pm at the Baseline Tennis Center.
#52 Minnesota 6, Iowa 1
Feb. 26, 2010, Minneapolis, Minn.
1. Ferrazzi/Palen (MINN) def. Molnar/ Poggensee-Wei (IOWA) 8-6
2. Young/ Klockenga (IOWA) def. Koprivica/ Sperling (MINN) 8-5
3. Muravnik/ Spilca (MINN) def. Majercik/ Beelen (IOWA) 8-3
1. #87 Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. Tijana Koprivica (MINN) 2-6, 6-4, 10-5
2. Alessandra Ferrazzi (MINN) def. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (IOWA) 6-3, 6-4
3. Alexa Palen (MINN) def. Merel Beelen (IOWA) 6-3, 4-6, 10-8
4. Doron Muravnik (MINN) def. Jessica Young (IOWA) 6-4, 6-7 (7), 10-3
5. Magdalena Wiecha (MINN) def. Kelcie Klockenga (IOWA) 6-3, 6-1
6. Jackie Sperling (MINN) def. Alexis Dorr (IOWA) 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish- Doubles: (3,2,1) Singles: (5,2,6,3,4,1)