Minnesota rolled past a pair of non-conference women’s tennis opponents on Sunday at the Baseline Tennis Center to run its season record to 8-1.
The Gophers opened the day with a 6-1 win over Eastern Michigan and then downed Gustavus Adolphus 7-0. Minnesota is ranked 54th in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association national rankings.
Tijana Koprivica was Minnesota’s only victor in both singles and doubles against Eastern Michigan. She won her No. 4 singles match 6-2, 6-4 and paired with Alessandra Ferrazzi for an 8-2 win at No. 2 doubles. The Gophers picked up the doubles point when Alex Seaton and Jackie Sperling teamed for an 8-2 win at No. 3.
Danielle Mousseau had the easiest win for the Gophers, sailing to a 6-1, 6-0 triumph at No. 6 singles. Minnesota also received singles victories from Karina Chiarelli by a 7-5, 6-4 score at No. 2, Lindsay Risebrough by a 6-3, 6-2 count at No. 3 and Elena Kazakova by a 6-4, 7-6 decision at No. 5.
Against Gustavus Adolphus, Minnesota swept all three doubles matches and then won the bottom three singles matches in quick fashion to seal the win early. Elena Kazakova, Peta Forsyth and Mikayla Rogers all won in both singles and doubles for the Gophers.
Kazakova and Rogers won 8-1 at No. 1 doubles, while Forsyth and Jackie Sperling won 8-4 at No. 2 doubles. Jackie Claypool and Liz Tusler prevailed 8-3 at No. 3.
Alex Seaton cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 6 singles before Rogers followed with a 6-1, 6-0 decision at No. 5 and Forsyth claimed a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 4 to seal the team victory. After Jackie Sperling won 6-0, 6-3 at No. 3 singles, the Gophers won two matches in super tiebreakers to clinch the sweep of the Gusties, who are ranked 11th in the NCAA Division III.
Danielle Mousseau won the first eight points in an eventual 10-4 super tiebreaker win for a 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 match win at No. 1 singles. Kazakova rallied from a set deficit for a 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8) win at No. 2 singles, taking five of the last six points in the super tiebreaker.
"The team is looking forward to two weeks of practice to prepare for the Big Ten opener," Minnesota coach Tyler Thomson said. "These matches today should give us the momentum to prepare well."
The Gophers are off next weekend and return to action on Fri., Feb. 29 against Missouri at 6 p.m. at the Baseline Tennis Center.
Minnesota 6, Eastern Michigan 1
1. Catharina Bestehorn/Vanessa Frankowski (EMU) def. Danielle Mousseau/Lindsay Risebrough (MINN) 8-3
2. Alessandra Ferrazzi/Tijana Koprivica (MINN) def. Aleksandra Stankovic/Sandra Wikstrom (EMU) 8-2
3. Alex Seaton/Jackie Sperling (MINN) def. Joanna Woo/Aditi Krishnan (EMU) 8-2
1. Frankowski (EMU) def. Ferrazzi (MINN) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (10-8)
2. Karina Chiarelli (MINN) def. Krishnan (EMU) 7-5, 6-4
3. Risebrough (MINN) def. Wikstrom (EMU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Koprivica (MINN) def. Bestehorn (EMU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Elena Kazakova (MINN) def. Stankovic (EMU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Mousseau (MINN) def. Woo (EMU) 6-1, 6-0
Minnesota 7, Gustavus Adolphus 0
1. Elena Kazakova/Mikayla Rogers (MINN) def. Sierra Krebsbach/Jenni White (GAC) 8-1
2. Peta Forsyth/Jackie Sperling (MINN) def. Ali O'Neal/Samantha Frank (GAC) 8-4
3. Jackie Claypool/Liz Tusler (MINN) def. Laura Arnebeck/Erica Dobson (GAC) 8-3
1. Danielle Mousseau (MINN) def. White (GAC) 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-4)
2. Kazakova (MINN) def. Krebsbach (GAC) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Jackie Sperling (MINN) def. Frank (GAC) 6-0, 6-3
4. Forsyth (MINN) def. O'Neal (GAC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Rogers (MINN) def. Arnebeck (GAC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Alex Seaton (MINN) def. Jenny Arnfelt (GAC) 6-1, 6-1