sweptThe University of Minnesota women's tennis team was overwhelmed in its dual versus third-ranked Kentucky today, falling 7-0 in its second match in Chapel Hill, N.C., this weekend. The Wildcats swept the singles and doubles matches, all in straight sets.
In doubles action, UK posted two 8-3 wins and Nos. 1 and 2, and a 8-0 shutout at No. 3. At No. 1, Nischela Reddy and Ida Malmberg fell to 1-2 on the season with a loss to 11th- ranked Kim Coventry and Joelle Schwenk.
The Wildcats cruised to the team win with six straight-set singles wins to improve to 7-3 this season. After a 6-1 first-set loss to No. 30 Sarah Foster, Reddy stayed competitive in the second set with a 7-5 loss at No. 1. Similarly, Malmberg lost her first set, 6-3 to No. 58 Kim Coventry and nearly forced a third set with a 7-6 showing in the second. The Golden Gophers could do no better than 6-4 in any of the remaining four matches.
The Maroon and Gold (2-3) returns home next weekend to face Denver on Friday, Feb. 18, and Cincinnati on Sunday, Feb. 20, at the Baseline Tennis Center.
Minnesota vs. #3 Kentucky
Feb. 13, 2005
Chapel Hill, N.C.
1. #30 Sarah Foster (UK) def. Nischela Reddy (MN), 6-1, 7-5
2. #58 Kim Coventry (UK) def. Ida Malmberg (MN), 6-3, 7-6
3. Joelle Schwenk (UK) def. Danielle Mousseau (MN), 6-1, 6-2
4. Lara Maurer (UK) def. Jane Anderson (MN), 6-3, 6-4
5. Danielle Petrisko (UK) def. Marina Bugaenco (MN), 6-1, 6-0
6. Christine Simpson (UK) def. Jenna Tellefsen (MN), 6-0, 6-0
1. #11 Coventry/Schwenk (UK) def. Reddy/Malmberg (MN), 8-3
2. Emily Foster/Maurer (UK) def. Anderson/Bugaenco (MN), 8-3
3. Sarah Foster/Petrisko (UK) def. Mousseau/Steiger (MN), 8-0
#3 Kentucky def. Minnesota, 7-0