The Minnesota women's tennis team opened its home schedule with a 5-2 defeat to No. 24 Oklahoma on Friday night at Baseline Tennis Center. The Gophers, who are ranked No. 73, fell to 2-3 on the year but have a chance to even their record when they host unranked Oregon on Sunday.
The Sooners narrowly edged the Gophers for the doubles point winning No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. The 31st-ranked tandem of Ana-Maria Constantinescu and Alice Radu upended Gopher freshmen Natallia Pintusava and Yuliana Umanets 8-4 at No. 1. Alessandra Ferrazzi and Alexa Palen, who are ranked No. 84, dropped a close 9-7 decision to Maria Kalashnikova and Whitney Ritchie at No. 2. Minnesota's lone doubles victory was a 9-8 (9) triumph from Magdalena Wiecha and Mariana Spilca against Tara Eckel and Marie-Pier Huet.
Pintusava, who is ranked No. 51 in singles, snapped a three match losing skid with a 7-6 (4), 1-6, 6-2 win against Constantinescu. Wiecha added a victory at No. 4 singes with a 6-4, 6-3 win against Huet. Ferrazzi was felled by Radu in three sets, while Doron Muravnik was also on the wrong side of a three-set affair. Palen and Spilca were defeated in straight sets.
2/11/2011 at Minneapolis
(Baseline Tennis Center)
No. 24 Oklahoma 5, No. 73 Minnesota 2
1. Natallia Pintusava (MIN) def. Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OKLA) 7-6 (4), 1-6, 6-2
2. Alice Radu (OKLA) def. Alessandra Ferrazzi (MIN) 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
3. Whitney Ritchie (OKLA) def. Alexa Palen (MIN) 6-4, 6-2
4. Magdalena Wiecha (MIN) def. Marie-Pier Huet (OKLA) 6-4, 6-3
5. Maria Kalashnikova (OKLA) def. Doron Muravnik (MIN) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
6. Mia Lancaster (OKLA) def. Mariana Spilca (MIN) 6-1, 6-0
1. No. 31 Ana-Maria Constantinescu/Alice Radu (OKLA) def. Natallia Pintusava/Yuliana Umanets (MIN) 8-4
2. Maria Kalashnikova/Whitney Ritchie (OKLA) def. No. 84 Alessandra Ferrazzi/Alexa Palen (MIN) 9-7
3. Magdalena Wiecha/Mariana Spilca (MIN) def. Tara Eckel/Marie-Pier Huet (OKLA) 9-8 (9)
Minnesota 2-3; National ranking No. 73
Oklahoma 4-1; National ranking No. 24
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,3,4,5,2,1)