upsetUniversity of Minnesota women's tennis player Nischela Reddy (Hyderabad, India) posted a straight-set upset win over the nation's 26th-ranked player today in the Golden Gophers' 6-1 loss to No. 13 North Carolina in Chapel Hill, N.C. Reddy, a junior captain, defeated Aniela Mojzis, 7-5, 6-1, at No. 1 singles for the Maroon and Gold's lone victory of the dual.
The Tarheels cruised to three easy wins in doubles to take the early 1-0 lead. North Carolina took the Nos. 2 and 3 tilts, 8-1, and wrapped up the sweep with Sara Anundsen and Jenna Long downing Reddy and Malmberg at No. 1.
In singles action, UNC won four consecutive straight-set matches at Nos. 6, 3, 2 and 5 before Reddy sprung the upset on Mojzis. The victory was Reddy's second in her career over a nationally-ranked opponent. On Jan. 29, she defeated No. 120 Katka Sevcikova of Missouri, 7-6, 6-2. With the win, Reddy improved to 4-0 this spring and 9-6 overall in 2004-05.
Minnesota (2-2) takes on third-ranked Kentucky on Sunday, Feb. 13, at 10 a.m., for UM's second match in Chapel Hill.
Minnesota at #13 North Carolina
Chapel Hill, N.C.
Feb. 11, 2005
1. Nischela Reddy (MN) def. #26 Aniela Mojzis (UNC), 7-5, 6-1
2. Sara Anundsen (UNC) def. Ida Malmberg (MN), 6-1, 6-2
3. Jenna Long (UNC) def. Jane Anderson (MN), 6-2, 6-2
4. Caitlin Collins (UNC) def. Danielle Mousseau (MN), 7-5, 6-2
5. Charlotte Tansill (UNC) def. Marina Bugaenco (MN), 6-4, 6-1
6. Alex Jurewitz (UNC) def. Megan Steiger (MN), 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish (singles): 6,3,2,5,1,4
1. Sara Anundsen/Jenna Long (UNC) def. Nischela Reddy/Ida Malmberg (MN), 8-3
2. Kendall Cline/Caitlin Collins (UNC) def. Marina Bugaenco/Danielle Mousseau (MN), 8 -1
3. Charlotte Tansill/Alex Jurewitz (UNC) def. Megan Steiger/Jenna Tellefsen (MN), 8-1
#13 North Carolina def. Minnesota, 6-1
Records: UNC 6-2, Minnesota 2-2