Tennis matches don't get much closer or more exciting than the one Minnesota and Nebraska played on Sunday.
Five of the six singles matches went three sets with the decisive match being settled in a third-set tiebreaker as Nebraska pulled out a 4-3 win over the Gophers in Lincoln, Neb.
"This was an awesome college tennis match," Minnesota coach Tyler Thomson said. "We have a great team and we're going to do great things this year. We have a lot of things to take from the weekend."
Minnesota, ranked 64th nationally, is now 3-2 for the season and has played four matches decided by 4-3 scores already this season. Nebraska is ranked 56th and improved to 4-0.
Nebraska's Jennifer Holmberg edged Jackie Sperling in the clinching match at No. 4 singles with a 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 win. Holmberg won the decisive tiebreaker by a 7-2 score.
Minnesota won the doubles point with wins from Alessandra Ferrazzi and Alexa Palen at No. 1 and Doron Muravnik and Mariana Spilca at No. 3. Nebraska's Wiveca Swarting and Janine Weinrich beat Tijana Koprivica and Sperling at No. 2.
Koprivica was the only player with an easy singles match, cruising past Madeleine Geibert 6-1, 6-0 at No. 2 to put Minnesota ahead 2-0. The Gophers built a 3-0 lead when Magdalena Wiecha put a first-set loss behind her and rolled past Abby Buxton 2-6, 6-1, 6-0 at No. 6.
The Cornhuskers took the four remaining matches in three sets, though Minnesota forced the third set in three of the matches. Mary Weatherholt got Nebraska on the board with a 7-5, 2-6, 6-3 win over Ferrazzi at No. 1. Swarting followed with a 6-3, 1-6, 6-2 win over Palen at No. 3 and Weinreich evened the match by rallying past Muravnik 1-6, 6-3, 7-5 at No. 5.
Minnesota had match points that could have clinched the team victory, but the Gophers were unable to convert. The Gophers have a week off before hosting Missouri and Wisconsin-Milwaukee on Feb. 13.
#56 Nebraska 4, #64 Minnesota 3
1. Mary Weatherholt (NEB) def. Alessandra Ferrazzi (MINN) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
2. Tijana Koprivica (MINN) def. Madeleine Geibert (NEB) 6-1, 6-0
3. Wiveca Swarting (NEB) def. Alexa Palen (MINN) 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
4. Jennifer Holmberg (NEB) def. Jackie Sperling (MINN) 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 (7-2)
5. Janine Weinreich (NEB) def. Doron Muravnik (MINN) 1-6, 6-3, 7-5
6. Magdalena Wiecha (MINN) def. Abby Buxton (NEB) 2-6, 6-1, 6-0
1. Alessandra Ferrazzi/Alexa Palen (MINN) def. Mary Weatherholt/Madeleine Geibert (NEB) 8-4
2. Wiveca Swarting/Janine Weinreich (NEB) def. Tijana Koprivica/Jackie Sperling (MINN) 8-3
3. Doron Muravnik/Mariana Spilca (MINN) def. Abby Buxton/Jennifer Holmberg (NEB) 8-2
Minnesota 3-2; National ranking #64
Nebraska 4-0; National ranking #56
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,6,1,3,5,4)