DePaul won a pair of tight doubles matches and took three straight-set singles victories to beat Minnesota 4-0 in a consolation match at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Team Indoor championships in Los Angeles.
The Blue Demons clinched the match with the four points, though Minnesota won the first set in the remaining three singles matches that were unfinished. The loss drops the Gophers to 1-2, while DePaul is now 4-1. DePaul entered the match ranked 63rd in the country and Minnesota is ranked 64th.
In doubles, DePaul’s Gia McKnight and Sandra Zmak edged Tijana Koprivica and Jackie Sperling 9-7, while the Blue Demons’ Anna Redecsi and Selma Salkovic pulled out an 8-6 win over Alessandra Ferrazzi and Niltooli Wilkins to clinch the team point.
DePaul’s Dunja Antunovic beat Karina Chiarelli 6-1, 6-3 at No. 1 singles, while Redesci posted a 6-1, 6-0 win over Wilkins at No. 2 singles and Katarina Milinkovic defeated Sperling 6-1, 6-1 at No. 6 singles.
Minnesota was in position to take the other three singles matches with first set wins. Ferrazzi was leading Salkovic 6-3, 4-2 and Koprivica held a 6-4, 3-2 lead over McKnight. Magdalena Wiecha took the first set from Zmak 6-3, but was trailing 5-0 in the second set when the match ended.
The Gophers host Iowa State in their spring home opener on Friday at 6 p.m. at the Baseline Tennis Center.
DePaul 4, Minnesota 0
1. Antunovic/Kirsten Gabrell (DU) vs. Chiarelli/Alex Seaton (UM)
2. Redecsi/Salkovic (DU) def. Ferrazzi/Wilkins (UM) 8-6
3. McKnight/Zmak (DU) def. Koprivica/Sperling (UM) 9-7
DePaul Wins Doubles Point Order of Finish: 3, 2
1. Dunja Antunovic (DU) def. Karina Chiarelli (UM) 6-1, 6-3*
2. Anna Redecsi (DU) def. Nitooli Wilkins (UM) 6-1, 6-0
3. Alessandra Ferrazzi (UM) led Selma Salkovic (DU) 6-3, 4-2 Susp.
4. Magdalena Wiecha (UM) led Sandra Zmak (DU) 6-3, 0-5 Susp.
5. Tijana Koprivica (UM) led Gia McKnight (DU) 6-4, 3-2 Susp.
6. Katarina Milinkovic (DU) def. Jackie Sperling (UM) 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 2, 6, 1