aThe University of Minnesota women's tennis team opened its spring season today with a 4-3 victory over Eastern Michigan at the Baseline Tennis Center. The Golden Gophers captured the doubles point and split the six singles matches to win their first season- opener since Feb. 1, 2003.
In doubles play, the Maroon and Gold gained two 8-5 victories at Nos. 1 and 2 to pick up the first point of the match. At No. 1, Ida Malmberg and Nischela Reddy dispatched Elizabeth Syrova and Yana Parfenyuk, while Jane Anderson and Danielle Mousseau prevailed over Victoria Domina and Vanessa Frankowski at No. 2. At No. 3, Megan Steiger and Jenna Tellefsen gave up a 7-6 lead to fall 9-7 to Catherina Bestahorn and Flavia Micati.
Minnesota earned singles wins at Nos. 1, 3 and 4 to earn the one-point margin of victory. All singles matches were straight-set affairs with Malmberg downing Parfenyuk, 6-2, 6-0, and Mousseau defeating Bestahorn, 6-3, 6-1, to set up the deciding match at No. 1. Reddy, the Golden Gophers' top player, overwhelmed Synova at No. 1, 6-4, 6-2, to give the Maroon and Gold the team win.
Minnesota continues its two-week homestand next weekend with the Minnesota Court Classic on Jan. 29-30, at the Baseline Tennis Center. The Golden Gophers take on Missouri at 3 p.m., on Jan. 29, and will face Oregon or Boston College on Jan. 30.
Minnesota vs. Eastern Michigan
Jan. 22, 2005
Baseline Tennis Center
1. Nischela Reddy (MN) def. Elizabeth Syrova (EMU), 6-4, 6-2
2. Vanessa Frankowski (EMU) def. Jane Anderson (MN), 6-2, 6-4
3. Ida Malmberg (MN) def. Yana Parfenyuk (EMU), 6-2, 6-0
4. Danielle Mousseau (MN) def. Catherina Bestahorn (EMU), 6-3, 6-1
5. Laura Fernandez (EMU) def. Megan Steiger (MN), 6-2, 6-0
6. Flavia Micati (EMU) def. Jenna Tellefsen (MN), 6-2, 6-1
1. Malmberg/Reddy (MN) def. Syrova/Parfenyuk (EMU), 8-5
2. Anderson/Mousseau (MN) def. Domina/Frankowski (EMU), 8-5
3. Bestahorn/Flavia Micati (EMU) def. Steiger/Tellefsen (MN), 9-7
Order of finish: 1,2,3