April 26, 2013
The tenth-seeded Minnesota women’s tennis team fell to second-seeded Nebraska this afternoon, 4-0, to force an end to its run through the 2013 Big Ten Women’s Tennis Tournament. The Golden Gophers finish the 2012-13 season with a 10-15 overall record.
Ranked pairings proved too much for the Gophers in the doubles competition. The No. 82 duo of Stefanie Weinstein and Janine Weinreich pushed for an 8-3 victory over Doron Muravnik and Alexa Palen at the second position. At ones, the nation’s No. 3 powerhouse pair of Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova topped Natallia Pintusava and Paula Rincon Otero by a score of 8-2 to secure the team doubles point.
The Cornhuskers carried their momentum into the singles competition and won three early matches for the sweeping overall victory. At No. 1, Weinstein nabbed the first ‘W’ after a 6-3, 6-0 defeat of Rincon Otero. Jessika Mozia (Minnesota) and Maggy Lehmicke (Nebraska) met at the fourth position with Lehmicke coming out on top with a 6-2, 6-0 win. The match was decided at the No. 2 spot where Veresova downed Minnesota’s Tereza Brichacova by scores of 6-1 and 6-0.
“I like how our girls competed in this tournament. We had a good match against Penn State in the first round and then against last year’s Big Ten Champions today,” said head coach Chuck Merzbacher. “I am proud of how the girls stepped up during the season with injuries. I am very happy about our finish and very excited for our future.”
Tennis Match Results
April 26, 2013
IU Varsity Tennis Courts
#2 Nebraska 4, #10 Minnesota 0
1. #3 Mary Weatherholt/Patricia Veresova (NEB) def. Natallia Pintusava/Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 8-2
2. #82 Stefanie Weinstein/Janine Weinreich (NEB) def. Doron Muravnik/Alexa Palen (MINN) 8-3
3. Maggy Lehmicke/Izabella Zgierska (NEB) vs. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) 3-7, unfinished
1. #11 Mary Weatherholt (NEB) vs. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) unfinished
2. Patricia Veresova (NEB) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-1, 6-0
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NEB) def. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 6-3, 6-0
4. Maggy Lehmicke (NEB) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-2, 6-0
5. Janine Weinreich (NEB) vs. Aria Lambert (MINN) 6-2, 2-3, unfinished
6. Maike Zeppernick (NEB) vs. Alexa Palen (MINN) 4-5, unfinished
Order of Finish
Doubles: 2, 1
Singles: 3, 4, 2
Gophers Doubles Team Wins ITA Summer Circuit Event
The University of Minnesota women's tennis team defeated four potential 2017 Big Ten opponents in an ITA Summer Circuit event held at Courtney Tennis Center by Notre Dame.
Gophers Tap Thompson to Lead Women's Tennis
Catrina Thompson comes to Minnesota from Notre Dame, where prior to her coaching career she was a three-time All-American doubles player
Gophers Hand Out Team Awards at Banquet
The University of Minnesota women’s tennis team held their team banquet Sunday where they handed out team awards and celebrated the season.