April 25, 2014
EVANSTON, Ill. – The 65th-ranked Minnesota women’s tennis team was eliminated from the Big Ten Tournament Friday afternoon when it dropped a 4-0 decision to 36th-ranked and third-seeded Ohio State at the Vandy Christie Tennis Center in Evanston, Ill. The sixth-seeded Gophers fell in the conference quarterfinal round for the second year in a row after topping Wisconsin Thursday to advance.
Minnesota wrapped up its season with its highest win total since 2003 at 17 and recorded its highest conference win total since the same year with six.
Ohio State, which earned a 7-0 win in the teams’ last meeting in Columbus earlier in the season, took a 1-0 lead by claiming the doubles point with wins at Nos. 2 and 3. The Buckeyes claimed the No. 2 match and Natallia Pintusava and Julia Courter upset No. 64-ranked Grainne O'Neill and Noelle Malley, but No. 83 Miho Kowase and Ferny Angeles Paz secured the doubles win with a victory at No. 3.
Courter and Pintusava closed the spring with a 19-4 record.
In singles, Nicole Flower defeated Maja Vujic, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 5, Sandy Niehaus defeated Courter, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 3, and Kowase defeated Jessika Mozia, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 2 to end the match. Nos. 1, 4, and 6 singles were abandoned to due OSU’s 4-0 win.
All-time, Minnesota is now 24-20 against Ohio State.
No. 36 Ohio State 4, No. 65 Minnesota 0
April 25, 2014
Vandy Christie Tennis Center | Evanston, Ill.
1. No. 81 Gabriella De Santis (OSU) vs. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 6-2, 5-7, unfinished
2. Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-1, 6-3
3. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Julia Courter (MINN) 6-4, 6-2
4. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) vs. Aria Lambert (MINN) 6-2, 5-2, unfinished
5. Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Maja Vujic (MINN) 6-2, 6-1
6. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) vs. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 3-6, 6-2, 1-0, unfinished
1. Natallia Pintusava/Julia Courter (MINN) def. No. 64 Grainne O'Neill/Noelle Malley (OSU) 8-3
2. Gabriella De Santis/Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Aria Lambert/Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 8-1
3. No. 83 Miho Kowase/Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Kendall Heitzner/Maja Vujic (MINN) 8-3
Women's Big Ten Tournament quarterfinal round
Minnesota 17-9; National ranking No. 65, No. 6 seed
Ohio State 19-7; National ranking No. 36, No. 3 seed
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,2,3)
Match duration: 2:40
Minnesota Heads to B1G Tournament
Minnesota begins Big Ten Tournament play on Thursday after securing the No. 8 seed. They will face Nebraska at 10 a.m. CT.
Minnesota Finishes Regular Season with a Win
The University captured a 6-1 victory over Rutgers Sunday in their final regular season match of the season.
Ryba Extends Winning Streak as Gophers Fall
The University of Minnesota fell 5-2 in their second to last regular season match Friday to Maryland.