April 25, 2013
Minnesota advanced to the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tennis Tournament with a first-round win over Penn State this afternoon in Bloomington, Ind. The Golden Gophers, who earned the No. 10 seed in the tournament, earned the victory over the seventh-seeded Nittany Lions with a 4-1 final mark.
By way of victories from the second and third positions, Minnesota won the team doubles point to take the early lead in the match. Tereza Brichacova and Jessika Mozia teamed up at Minnesota’s three spot to defeat Marie Bedard and Jacqueline Zuhse by a score of 8-5. Reteaming at twos, Alexa Palen and Doron Muravnik secured the point with an 8-3 victory over Devan McCluskey and Carmen Sandor.
The Golden Gophers won the first two singles matches to push the lead to a 3-0 score, needing only one more victory to advance to tomorrow’s quarterfinals. Aria Lambert was the first to wrap up her match. She defeated Sandor by scores of 6-3, 6-3 at No. 5. Palen was the next to finish as she followed up her doubles victory with a win over Bedard in straight sets (6-1, 6-4).
McCluskey managed the only point for Penn State, playing from fourth singles where she topped the Gopher’s Mozia (6-3, 7-5). Paula Rincon Otero answered quickly to close out the win. After winning the first set by a score of 6-2, she pushed through an extended second set (7-5) to take the win from Zuhse.
The Maroon and Gold will now look to No. 2 seed Nebraska as its opponent in the tournament quarterfinals. During the regular season, the Cornhuskers took home the victory with a 6-1 advantage over the Gophers at Baseline Tennis Center. The match is schedule to take place tomorrow afternoon at 1:00 p.m. CT.
2013 Big Ten Tournament – First Round Results
April 25, 2013
IU Varsity Tennis Courts
Minnesota 4, #44 Penn State 1
1. #24 Januskova/Utting (PSU) vs. Pintusava/Rincon Otero (MINN) 7-5 unfinished
2. Muravnik/Palen (MINN) def. McCluskey/Sandor (PSU) 8-3
3. Brichacova/Mozia (MINN) def. Bedard/Zuhse (PSU) 8-5
1. #69 Petra Januskova (PSU) vs. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 6-4, 5-4 unfinished
2. Chelsea Utting (PSU) vs. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 0-6, 2-0 unfinished
3. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) def. Jacqueline Zuhse (PSU) 6-2, 7-5
4. Devan McCluskey (PSU) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-3, 7-5
5. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Carmen Sandor (PSU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Alexa Palen (MINN) def. Marie Bedard (PSU) 6-1, 6-4
Order of Finish
Doubles: 3, 2
Singles: 5, 6, 4, 3
First Serve With Kalyssa Hall
Kalyssa Hall comes to the Gophers after winning two 4A state championships at Cherry Creek High School.
River Hart Signs With Minnesota
University of Minnesota head coach Chuck Merzbacher announced the signing of River Hart Tuesday.
First Serve With Tina Kreinis
Tina Kreinis has posted five singles match victories and seven doubles match wins this fall for the Gophers.