April 24, 2014
EVANSTON, Ill. – The 65th-ranked Minnesota women’s tennis team advanced to the Big Ten Conference Tournament quarterfinal round with a 4-3 first-round win over No. 11-seeded Wisconsin Thursday afternoon in Evanston, Ill. The sixth-seeded Gophers will play for a semifinal berth with No. 3 seed Ohio State Friday at 2 p.m.
Minnesota reached the 17-win plateau for the first time since 2003 with the victory, upping its 2014 record to 17-8. The Gophers ran their winning steak against the Badgers to four matches.
The match began with the Gophers winning in the doubles competition, taking wins in the second and third flights.
Doubles tandems of Natallia Pintusava and Julia Courter and Aria Lambert and Paula Rincon Otero sandwiched wins at Nos. 2 and 3, respectively around a victory by UW’s Lauren Chypyha and Lauren Burich at the top spot to give Minnesota a 1-0 lead.
Pintusava and Courter added to an impressive spring record as a duo, improving their record together to 18-4.
Freshman Maja Vujic temporarily quelled a Wisconsin rally after Chypyha knotted the score with a win at No. 1 by winning her seventh singles dual match of the season, taking down Sydney Rider in straight sets at No. 6.
The Badgers jumped in front with wins at Nos. 4 and 2, but the Maroon and Gold staved off elimination when Rincon Otero capped a 6-1, 6-3 win in the six spot and Courter garnered her team-leading 18th singles win of the season by dispatching Burich in a 7-4 tiebreaker in the second set after claiming a 6-1 first-set win.
The one-point win was the fourth of the season for the Maroon and Gold.
No. 65 Minnesota 4, Wisconsin 3
Apr 24, 2014 at Evanston, Ill.
Combe Tennis Center | Evanston, Ill.
1. Lauren Chypyha (WISC) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 6-3, 6-4
2. Anastasia Tripolskaya (WISC) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-1, 6-0
3. Julia Courter (MINN) def. Lauren Burich (WISC) 6-1, 7-6 (4)
4. Nova Patel (WISC) def. Aria Lambert (MINN) 7-5, 6-4
5. Maja Vujic (MINN) def. Sydney Rider (WISC) 6-2, 6-4
6. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) def. Becca Bailey (WISC) 6-1, 6-3
1. Lauren Chypyha/Lauren Burich (WISC) def. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) 8-3
2. Natallia Pintusava/Julia Courter (MINN) def. Nova Patel/Anastasia Tripolskaya (WISC) 8-2
3. Aria Lambert/Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) def. Sydney Rider/Becca Bailey (WISC) 8-5
Big Ten tournament First Round
Wisconsin: 7-13, No. 11 seed
Minnesota: 17-8; National ranking No. 65, No. 6 seed
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,5,4,2,6,3)
Minnesota Outplayed by Mississippi State
Maja Vujic held the only singles win of the 5-2 loss for the Gophers, though the doubles point was clinched
Gophers Look to Upend No. 24 Mississippi State
The University of Minnesota women’s tennis team looks to continue their winning ways Tuesday as they travel to Starkville, Miss. to take on No. 24 Mississippi State.
Gophers Secure Two Wins in a Two-Match Day
Gophers overpower both Memphis and South Dakota to sweep the day, 4-3 and 7-0 respectively