April 21, 2013
The Minnesota women’s tennis team fell 6-1 in its regular season finale against Iowa this afternoon in Iowa City. The Golden Gophers head into the Big Ten Tournament with a 9-14 overall record and a 3-8 conference mark.
Iowa stole momentum right out the gate by winning the doubles point. Hawkeyes Shelby Talcott and Caitlin Hindmarsh defeated Gophers Tereza Brichacova and Natallia Pintusava at the second position by a score of 8-1. The No. 46 duo of Ruth Seaborne and Morven McCulloch downed Minnesota’s top team Paula Rincon Otero and Doron Muravnik (8-5) to win the team point.
The Hawkeyes held steady to claim the match with four consecutive victories in the singles competition. All four of Iowa’s successful doubles athletes, translated their play to mark finishes in the singles win column. Threes were the first to finish with McCulloch defeating Rincon Otero by scores of 6-1, 6-2. Talcott topped Brichacova (6-2, 6-2), while No. 96 Seaborne sealed the win by defeating Pintusava by identical scores. Minnesota’s Jessika Mozia also saw a two-set loss, falling 6-2, 6-4 to Hindmarsh at No. 4 singles.
Playing at the fifth position, Aria Lambert was the only Gopher to score a win with a three-set victory over Katie Zordani. After splitting the first two sets, Lambert fought through the tiebreaker third to come out on top by a score of 10-8. Alexa Palen came close to taking the sixth singles, also playing in a tiebreaker round, but ultimately found herself on the losing end of the 10-8 third-set score.
The Gophers will begin their campaign at the Big Ten Tournament when the competition begins on Thursday, April 25 in Bloomington, Ind. Follow along with the updates from the event at Indiana’s tournament central website.
Tennis Match Results
April 21, 2013
Iowa City, Iowa
Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex
Iowa 6, Minnesota 1
1. #46 Seaborne/McCulloch (IOWA) def. Rincon Otero/Muravnik (MINN) 8-5
2. Talcott/Hindmarsh (IOWA) def. Brichacova/Pintusava (MINN) 8-1
3. Mozia/Palen (MINN) vs. Zordani/Dohanics (IOWA) 5-4 unfinished
1. #96 Ruth Seaborne (IOWA) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 6-2, 6-2
2. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-3, 6-2
3. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 6-1, 6-2
4. Caitlin Hindmarsh (IOWA) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-2, 6-4
5. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (8)
6. Annette Dohanics (IOWA) def. Alexa Palen (MINN) 6-4, 1-6, 1-0 (8)
Order of Finish
Doubles: 2, 1
Singles: 3, 2, 1, 4, 6, 5
First Serve With Kalyssa Hall
Kalyssa Hall comes to the Gophers after winning two 4A state championships at Cherry Creek High School.
River Hart Signs With Minnesota
University of Minnesota head coach Chuck Merzbacher announced the signing of River Hart Tuesday.
First Serve With Tina Kreinis
Tina Kreinis has posted five singles match victories and seven doubles match wins this fall for the Gophers.