April 20, 2014
MINNEAPOLIS - The 59th-ranked Minnesota women's tennis team fell to 13th-ranked Northwestern, 7-0, in its final match of the regular season Sunday afternoon at the Baseline Tennis Center. The loss left the Gophers with a 16-8 mark in the regular season that includes a 6-5 record in Big Ten matches.
Minnesota's conference ledger gives the team the No. 6 seed in the Big Ten Tournament hosted by the Wildcats in Evanston, Ill. The Gophers will take on No. 11-seeded Wisconsin in the first round Thursday. The Maroon and Gold earned a 4-3 win over an undermanned Badger squad in Madison, Wis. back on March 2.
Fifteen-time defending Big Ten champion NU got off to a fast start in doubles in Sunday's match, starting with an 8-1 triumph by No. 28-ranked duo Veronica Corning and Alicia Barnett at the top spot. Brooke Rischbieth and Belinda Niu locked up the match's first point for the Wildcats with an 8-2 win in the third position.
In singles, Northwestern kept its roll going when No. 43 Niu claimed a win at No. 2 and Jillian Rooney picked up victory at No. 6. Lok Sze Leung clinched the team win for the Wildcats with a 6-4, 6-2 win at No. 5.
NU finished off the shutout with singles wins at the Nos. 3, 4, and 1 positions, in that order. Barnett won at No. 3 and Manon Peri won at No. 4. In the top flight, Natallia Pintusava pushed No. 38-ranked Corning to a supertiebreaker in her final match at the Baseline Tennis Center, but fell 10-8 in the shortened third set.
The match was also the last at home for fellow seniors Yuliana Umanets and Pauline Gilbert.
No. 13 Northwestern 7, No. 59 Minnesota 0
April 20, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center | Minneapolis, Minn.
1. No. 38 Veronica Corning (NW) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 6-7 (4), 6-3, 1-0 (8)
2. No. 43 Belinda Niu (NW) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-0, 6-0
3. Alicia Barnett (NW) def. Aria Lambert (MINN) 6-4, 6-3
4. Manon Peri (NW) def. Julia Courter (MINN) 6-4, 6-3
5. Lok Sze Leung (NW) def. Maja Vujic (NW) 6-4, 6-2
6. Jillian Rooney (NW) def. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 6, 5, 3, 4, 1
1. No. 28 Veronica Corning/Alicia Barnett (NW) def. Natallia Pintusava/Julia Courter (MINN) 8-1
2. Aria Lambert/Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) vs. No. 86 Maddie Lipp/Nida Hamilton (NW) unfinished
3. Brooke Rischbieth/Belinda Niu (NW) def. Yuliana Umanets/Kendall Heitzner (MINN) 8-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3
Ryba Named to All-Big Ten Team
Caroline Ryba has been named to the All-Big Ten Team for her excellence this season, the conference announced Thursday.
Gophers Fall in B1G Tournament
Minnesota battled down to the wire but fell 4-1 to Wisconsin in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament this afternoon.
Gophers Ready for Border Battle Rematch
Minnesota made the Big Ten Tournament and will be the first match taking on Wisconsin Thursday at 10 a.m. at the Michigan State Tennis Facilities.