April 18, 2014
MINNEAPOLIS - The 59th-ranked Minnesota women's tennis team dropped a tight, 4-3 decision to No. 43 Illinois Friday afternoon at the Baseline Tennis Center. The Gophers dropped to 16-7 on the season with a 6-5 record in Big Ten play with one match to go. The team lost to Illinois for the fourth-consecutive time.
Now in fifth place, the Gophers are 3-6 against ranked opponents on the season.
The Gophers lost the doubles point for the third match in a row with losses at the Nos. 1 and 3 positions. Allison Falkin and Melissa Kopinski of Illinois downed Tereza Brichacova and Jessika Mozia, 8-5, at the top spot before Alexis Cosati and Jerricka Boone made it a 1-0 match by beating Aria Lambert and Paula Rincon Otero at No. 3, 8-3.
Falkin gave the Fighting Illini a 2-0 lead with a win over Natallia Pintusava at No. 2 singles and Kopinski gave the visitors their third point with a victory at No. 3 singles.
Lambert locked up her 16th win of the season to stave off the loss for Minnesota, but Louise Kwong dealt Julia Courter her fifth loss of the season at the No. 4 position to clinch the win.
Minnesota's remaining singles players did not relent despite the decision as Brichcova got back to .500 in singles on the season at 11-11 with a supertiebreaker win over Alexis Cosati at the top position. At No. 6 ,Maja Vujic upped her freshman season spring mark to 6-2 with a 7-6 (6), 6-4 win over Kedzierski.
Pintusava and fellow seniors Yuliana Umanets and Pauline Gilbert will have their career matches at the Baseline Tennis Center on Senior Day Sunday. The Gophers will take on No. 13 Northwestern, the 15-time defending Big Ten champion, at noon.
No. 43 Illinois 4, No. 59 Minnesota 3
April 18, 2014
Baseline Tennis Center | Minneapolis, Minn.
1. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) def. Alexis Cosati (ILL) 6-7 (5), 6-3, 1-0 (7)
2. Allison Falkin (ILL) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 6-2, 7-5
3. Melissa Kopinski (ILL) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-0, 7-5
4. Louise Kwong (ILL) def. Julia Courter (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
5. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Jerricka Boone (ILL) 6-3, 6-4
6. Maja Vujic (MINN) def. Misia Kedzierski (ILL) 7-6 (6), 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 5, 4, 1, 6
1. Allison Falkin/ Melissa Kopinski (ILL) def. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) 8-5
2. Natallia Pintusava/Julia Courter (MINN) vs. Misia Kedzierski/Louise Kwong (ILL) unfinished
3. Alexis Cosati/Jerricka Boone (ILL) def. Aria Lambert/Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 8-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3
Gophers Off to Pullman For A West Coast Test
2/21/2018 - W. Tennis
The University of Minnesota women’s tennis team (7-3, 0-0 Big Ten) will head to the west coast for a doubleheader against Washington State and Eastern Washington.
Gophers Fall to Tigers 4-3
2/17/2018 - W. Tennis
The University of Minnesota fell to Memphis on the road Saturday, dropping their record to 7-3 on the season.
Gophers Fall 4-3 in Close Dual With Tigers
2/16/2018 - W. Tennis
The University of Minnesota fell to Missouri on the road Friday, dropping their record to 7-2 on the season. No. 1 doubles pairing Mehvish Safdar and Caitlyn Merzbacher took a 6-0 win...