April 14, 2013
The Golden Gophers suffered their third-consecutive loss today at the hands of the Boilermakers in West Lafayette, Ind. Minnesota (9-12, 3-6 B1G) fell 6-1 to No. 23 Purdue (15-3, 7-2 B1G).
The No. 25 duo of Mara Schmidt and Krisztina Kapitany defeated Minnesota’s top pair Natallia Pintusava and Paula Rincon Otero, 8-2. Their win was closely followed by teammates Gisella Pere and Tess Bernar-Feigneb, who topped Jessika Mozia and Alexa Palen from the third position.
On the singles side, Purdue won the first four completed matches to steal the victory from Minnesota. Bernard-Feigenb improved upon her doubles win with a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Mozia. Purdue’s Pere and Kapitany marked identical scores of 6-1, 6-2 over their respective opponents to secure the ‘W’ for the Boilermakers. Pere topped Yuliana Umanets at No. 6, while Kapitany downed Aria Lambert at No. 5. Purdue went up 5-0 over the Gophers after Lynda Xepoleas defeated Tereza Brichacova (6-4, 6-2) at twos.
Pintusava was the only Gopher to see a solo win on the court. Pintusava defeated Schmidt by scores of 6-3, 6-2. Rincon Otero came close to a second Maroon and Gold victory playing at the third position. Against, she fought for scores of 7-5, 7-5 to come up just short.
With only two matches left on the regular season schedule, the Gophers will split time next weekend, beginning with a home dual against Nebraska on April 19 at 2 p.m. They will close out the conference schedule on April 21 at Iowa.
Tennis Match Results
April 14, 2013
West Lafayette, Ind.
Basham Courts - Schwartz Tennis Center
#23 Purdue 6, Minnesota 1
1. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Mara Schmidt (PUR) 6-3, 6-2
2. Lynda Xepoleas (PUR) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-4, 6-2
3. Daniela Vidal (PUR) def. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 7-5, 7-5
4. Tess Bernard-Feigenb (PUR) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-0, 6-1
5. Krisztina Kapitany (PUR) def. Aria Lambert (MINN) 6-1, 6-2
6. Gisella Pere (PUR) def. Yuliana Umanets (MINN) 6-1, 6-2
1. #25 Schmidt/Kapitany (PUR) def. Pintusava/Rincon Otero (MINN) 8-2
2. Xepoleas/Daniela Vidal (PUR) vs. Brichacova/Muravnik (MINN) 7-5, unfinished
3. Pere/Bernard-Feigenb (PUR) def. Mozia/Palen (MINN) 8-2
Order of Finish
Doubles: 1, 3
Singles: 4, 6, 5, 2, 1, 3
Minnesota Falls to No. 2 Ohio State
The University of Minnesota fell 7-0 to No. 2 Ohio State Sunday at Baseline Tennis Center for their second conference loss of the season.
Gophers Fall to Penn State
The University of Minnesota fell in their second conference match of the season 4-3 to Penn State Friday at Sarni Indoor Courts.
Gophers Play Two Conference Matches This Week
The University of Minnesota women’s tennis team travels to University Park, Penn. Friday to take on Penn State then returns home to Baseline Tennis Center Sunday to host No. 2 Ohio ...