April 14, 2013
The Golden Gophers suffered their third-consecutive loss today at the hands of the Boilermakers in West Lafayette, Ind. Minnesota (9-12, 3-6 B1G) fell 6-1 to No. 23 Purdue (15-3, 7-2 B1G).
The No. 25 duo of Mara Schmidt and Krisztina Kapitany defeated Minnesota’s top pair Natallia Pintusava and Paula Rincon Otero, 8-2. Their win was closely followed by teammates Gisella Pere and Tess Bernar-Feigneb, who topped Jessika Mozia and Alexa Palen from the third position.
On the singles side, Purdue won the first four completed matches to steal the victory from Minnesota. Bernard-Feigenb improved upon her doubles win with a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Mozia. Purdue’s Pere and Kapitany marked identical scores of 6-1, 6-2 over their respective opponents to secure the ‘W’ for the Boilermakers. Pere topped Yuliana Umanets at No. 6, while Kapitany downed Aria Lambert at No. 5. Purdue went up 5-0 over the Gophers after Lynda Xepoleas defeated Tereza Brichacova (6-4, 6-2) at twos.
Pintusava was the only Gopher to see a solo win on the court. Pintusava defeated Schmidt by scores of 6-3, 6-2. Rincon Otero came close to a second Maroon and Gold victory playing at the third position. Against, she fought for scores of 7-5, 7-5 to come up just short.
With only two matches left on the regular season schedule, the Gophers will split time next weekend, beginning with a home dual against Nebraska on April 19 at 2 p.m. They will close out the conference schedule on April 21 at Iowa.
Tennis Match Results
April 14, 2013
West Lafayette, Ind.
Basham Courts - Schwartz Tennis Center
#23 Purdue 6, Minnesota 1
1. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Mara Schmidt (PUR) 6-3, 6-2
2. Lynda Xepoleas (PUR) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-4, 6-2
3. Daniela Vidal (PUR) def. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 7-5, 7-5
4. Tess Bernard-Feigenb (PUR) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-0, 6-1
5. Krisztina Kapitany (PUR) def. Aria Lambert (MINN) 6-1, 6-2
6. Gisella Pere (PUR) def. Yuliana Umanets (MINN) 6-1, 6-2
1. #25 Schmidt/Kapitany (PUR) def. Pintusava/Rincon Otero (MINN) 8-2
2. Xepoleas/Daniela Vidal (PUR) vs. Brichacova/Muravnik (MINN) 7-5, unfinished
3. Pere/Bernard-Feigenb (PUR) def. Mozia/Palen (MINN) 8-2
Order of Finish
Doubles: 1, 3
Singles: 4, 6, 5, 2, 1, 3
Gophers Bested by Missouri
The Gophers drop their first match of the weekend to the Missouri Tigers, 4-1
Gophers Look to Three Match Weekend
Gophers begin a busy weekend on Friday afternoon against the Missouri Tigers
First Serve With Caroline Ryba
After defeating back to back ranked opponents in singles matches and the Gophers placing third, University of Minnesota junior Caroline Ryba was named MVP of the Courtside Classic.