April 13, 2014
MINNEAPOLIS – For the second weekend in a row, the No. 61 Minnesota women’s tennis team rebounded from a 7-0 loss to earn a 4-3 Sunday win, this time defeating No. 60 Michigan State on the road at the MSU Outdoor Courts in East Lansing, Mich. The Gophers fell behind 3-1, but stormed back to steal their 16th win of the season and improve to 6-3 in the Big Ten, securing a winning conference record.
The 16-6 Gophers doubled their league win total from a year ago and are now 7-2 on the road after going winless away from the Baseline Tennis Center in 2013.
The homestanding Spartans got off to quick start in doubles when No. 57 Marina Bohrer and Erin Faulkner earned an 8-3 win at the top spot. Julia Courter and Natallia Pintusava evened the competition with an 8-4 win at No. 2, but Catherine Parenteau and Athena Trouillot eked out an 8-6 victory at No. 3 to make it 1-0, Spartans.
Courter and Pintusava are now 17-3 together in doubles.
Aria Lambert notched her team-high 15th singles win of the spring season to knot the score at one, but MSU used wins by Parenteau at No. 3 and 120th-ranked Bohrer at No. 1 to jump ahead, 3-1.
With the team’s back against the wall, Pintusava came through with a 6-4, 7-5 win over Erin Faulkner to cut the deficit in half before Courter tied the score by coming from behind to take down Emily Meyers, 5-7, 6-2, 7-6 (3), at No. 4.
The match came down to No. 6 singles, where Minnesota freshman Maja Vujic gleaned a 7-6 (5) tiebreaker win in the first set before falling 7-5 in the second set. The Niagara Falls, Ont. native pulled through in the third set, however, clinching the match for the Maroon and Gold, toppling Trouillot, 6-3.
The Gophers will cap their regular season at home next weekend. Minnesota will host No. 42 Illinois Friday before taking on 12th-ranked Northwestern Sunday on Senior Day.
No. 61 Minnesota 4, No. 60 Michigan State 3
April 13, 2014
East Lansing, Mich. | MSU Outdoor Courts
1. No. 120 Marina Bohrer (MSU) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-0, 7-6 (0)
2. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Erin Faulkner (MSU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Catherine Parenteau (MSU) def. Jessika Mozia (MINN) 6-4, 6-4
4. Julia Courter (MINN) def. Emily Meyers (MSU) 5-7, 6-2, 7-6 (3)
5. Aria Lambert (MINN) def. Olga Chernova (MSU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Maja Vujic (MINN) def. Athena Trouillot (MSU) 7-6 (5), 5-7, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 1, 2, 4, 6
1. No. 57 Marina Bohrer/Erin Faulkner (MSU) def. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) 8-3
2. Julia Courter/Natallia Pintusava (MINN) def. Emily Meyers/Julianne Gruber (MSU) 8-4
3. Catherine Parenteau/Athena Trouillot (MSU) def. Aria Lambert/Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
Gophers Bring Back Courtside Classic
The re-established Courtside Classic is set for this weekend as the Gophers host DePaul, Mississippi State and New Mexico.
Gophers Improve to 5-1
The Gophers picked up a 7-0 victory over Milwaukee and a 6-1 win over South Dakota to improve to 5-1 on the season and 4-0 at the Baseline Tennis Center
Gophers Hosting Milwaukee, South Dakota
The University of Minnesota Gophers are hosting Milwaukee and South Dakota at the Baseline Tennis Center this Saturday.