April 13, 2013
The Minnesota women’s tennis team fell to No. 34 Indiana on the road today in Bloomington, Ind. by a team score of 6-1. With the loss, the Gophers fall to an overall record of 9-11 and move to 3-5 in the Big Ten, while the Hooisers improve to a 16-6 overall, 5-3 B1G.
Indiana scored early, taking claim of the doubles team point with wins at the first and third positions. Minnesota’s Natallia Pintusava and Paula Rincon Otero challenged IU’s duo of Leslie Hureau and Carolyn Chupa but fell short with an 8-3 finish. The No. 3 spot saw a similar end with Sophie Garre and Katie Klycezk (Indiana) topping Tereza Brichacova and Jessika Mozia, 8-3. The second doubles match, consisting of Indiana’s Alecia Kauss and Shannon Murdy versus Minnesota’s Doron Muravnik and Alexa Palen, ran out to a tied score of 5-5 before going unfinished.
Mozia was the lone Gopher to notch a victory on the day with a win at the fourth singles position. After coming back from a narrow defeat in the first set, she overcame Kauss in the tiebreaker third set to claim the point. As Minnesota’s top singles threat, Pintusava managed to force a three-set match after winning the first by a score of 6-4. She would go on to fall at the hands of Indiana’s Hureau. At No. 2, Brichacova fought tough against Klycezk, ranked No. 90 among ITA’s list, to suffer a close loss of 7-5, 6-2. Rincon Otero, Aria Lambert, and Yuliana Umanets also fell in straight sets to their respective opponents.
In a quick turnaround, Minnesota will be back in action on the court tomorrow against Purdue. The match is set for a noon start time.
Tennis Match Results
April 13, 2013
#34 Indiana 6, Minnesota 1
1. Leslie Hureau/ Carolyn Chupa (IU) def. Natallia Pintusava/Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 8-3
2. Alecia Kauss/Shannon Murdy (IU) tie Doron Muravink/Alexa Palen (MINN) 5-5 unfinished
3. Sophie Garre/ Katie Klycezk (IU) def. Tereza Brichacova/Jessika Mozia (MINN) 8-3
1. #112 Leslie Hureau (IU) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 4-6, 6-0, 6-43
2. #90 Katie Klycezk (IU) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 7-5, 6-2
3. Carolyn Chupa (IU) def. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 6-0, 6-4
4. Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Alecia Kauss (IU) 6-7 (7-9), 6-4, 1-0 (10-7)
5. Sophie Garre (IU) def. Aria Lambert (MINN) 6-2, 6-4
6. Jithmie Jayawickrema (IU) def. Yuliana Umanets (MINN) 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish
Doubles: 1, 3
Singles: 3, 6, 2, 5, 1, 4
First Serve With Kalyssa Hall
Kalyssa Hall comes to the Gophers after winning two 4A state championships at Cherry Creek High School.
River Hart Signs With Minnesota
University of Minnesota head coach Chuck Merzbacher announced the signing of River Hart Tuesday.
First Serve With Tina Kreinis
Tina Kreinis has posted five singles match victories and seven doubles match wins this fall for the Gophers.